𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑋𝑉𝐼𝐼𝐼

─────⊰ ✧

─────⊰ ✧.*✦*.✧ ⊱─────

   𝐈𝐓 𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 for the sounds of nature to come back to life and for the morning sun to break through the clouds in streaks of light. There was an odd serenity which before was greatly appreciated, though now it felt odd after what had happened.

Kiano searched with his hands instead of his eyes to the nearest rock that wasn't there. His mind was spinning since losing his adrenaline rush and his whole body began to cave in. His muscles lost its strength from overworking as it only took a few steps before he inevitably dropped himself onto the moist ground.

The cold was a nice contrast to his heated body. He felt such a need to breathe rapidly that his mind spun more and he started to become dizzy. His heart hammered in his chest, beating so hard that he could even hear it. With every breath he took, he inhaled harmoniously with his heart even hiccuping in the same rhythm. He closed his eyes from the pain in his head and stomach, his hands plucking the grass underneath them.

Lucy slowly walked towards him, mindful of the dozens of wolves that were resting around him. None of them seemed to blame Kiano for killing their own kind. They had simply accepted their new leader and their new fate.

The wolves let Lucy approach him, but they kept a watchful eye on her. She knelt down beside him to get a better idea of the state he was in. He'd fought so hard when he didn't have to. His scraped-open knuckles made Lucy's stomach tie into a knot of guilt. If she still had her cordial, she could've healed him in an instant.

She opened her small briefcase that contained most of the first aid supplies they'd brought with them. She took out a light-blue cloth and without warning, she gently dabbed it against Kiano's jaw that was smudged with moss.

Kiano flinched and his eyes shot open towards Lucy. His tense muscles relaxed at the sight of her and he let her clean the dirt off his face. He was too tired to do it himself and the smoothness of the cloth felt pleasant with the gentle care that Lucy was using it with.

As Lucy watched Kiano's eyes doze off, she smiled. She lightly squeezed into the cloth to contain her happiness since she wanted him to rest. He'd fought so bravely and with no restraint and whatever the reason was, Lucy was forever grateful to him for keeping her family and friends safe. She carefully picked up one of his hands to clean it and found it remarkable when Kiano didn't react in the slightest when she disinfected his knuckles.

She placed a hand on his heated forehead once she was done caring for his wounds and frowned with worry. She took out another cloth, dampened it with water and lay it on his forehead before gently pressing on it.

'How is he?'

Lucy turned her head to look up at Victoria's towering statue behind her. She'd regained her posture, the elegance that she carried radiating from her like before, though her face showed nothing but concern. She couldn't hide her distress, not when Kiano and Alexis both needed medical aid and had reached their limits.