𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑋𝑋𝐼

─────⊰ ✧

─────⊰ ✧.*✦*.✧ ⊱─────

   𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐁𝐋𝐔𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 couldn't be seen from the other side of the portal. While the blinding light radiated through the portal, it dulled into a dark green that spread into the branches and leaves of a tree. The other side of the portal had opened the tree's trunk, making the bark disappear on one side and hollowing out the tree.

One by one, the group stepped out of the tree, the warmth of the sun burning lightly on their skin. The air was much more humid and warm compared to the dry air of the Western Wild.

Caspian was last to walk through the portal and turned around to help out the next one. He could see Florence's hand and recognised it being hers by the silver ring on her finger. As he reached out to take her hand and help her through the portal, her hand slipped back into the portal.

When the tree's trunk magically began to regrow, Caspian clawed at the opening, but it was no use. Not even his best attempts could stop the tree from growing. 'Someone has to reopen the portal. Florence is still there,' he said, the panic evident in his voice. 'I saw her hand come through for a moment, but—do you think they got their hands on her?'

'I'm afraid they might,' Raiden responded quietly.

'We can't reopen the portal anyway. I would have no idea how to do that,' Hermione added.

'And that says a lot, because Hermione knows almost every, if not every, spell from the top of her head,' Charlotte interjected.

Caspian desperately looked back at the tree and gently laid a hand on the rough bark. He couldn't stand the idea that she was still there, even if it was with Victoria. He caught himself thinking that both girls could put up a bigger fight than he could. Victoria's wit and Florence's fighting spirit would get them much further than any skill he had to offer, but he could've helped if he'd been there too.

When he turned away from the tree, he was face to face with Erin, who was smiling brightly. 'You can't help her by sulking by a tree. Look at it this way, we got the opportunity to retreat, get more knowledge about our enemy and come back stronger.' She rolled up her sleeves to cool down slightly, the change in weather immediately having an effect on her.

Caspian saw the scar on her forearm that he'd seen many times before. Erin had told him the story of how a lynx bit her arm whilst she was on a hunt with her mentor. She always sounded so fond of her mentor and even though she was severely injured that day, her story was incredibly uplifting and positive and fun. She had another visible scar through her right eyebrow from when she fell down a tree at the age of thirteen and that story too is surprisingly upbeat. She'd usually laugh as she'd tell the story, feeling silly for falling out of the tree in the first place.

'This does give us a bit of a breather to truly understand what we're up against,' Chrys agreed with Erin. She was waving her hand up and down in front of her like a simple fan in an attempt to not start to sweat in the heat of the day. Chrys was certain it wasn't early spring, but rather the start of summer and a warm summer that is.