Chapter 12:: Devotion

Author's POV:

"Is this good, hmm?" You asked Azure as she meowed at you. You smiled and patted her head while sitting in the lobby of the hotel. Jo, who was sitting in front of you both said, "Azure likes you a lot, I guess."
"I like her too."
You said, smiling at her. Jo smiled a little and said, "At least you like someone in here."
You looked at him before looking at Azure. 
"She looks like the only one who's from my world." You said. 
"World?" Jo asked. 

"Yeah, of course. She's a cat... though her owner's a mafia, she's still one of us." Jo chuckled at your statement.
"So... according to you, mafias and normal people are of two different worlds?" 
"Of course."

"How is that?" Jo asked, a little deep in thought. Your words seemed to have made him wonder.
"No offence but... in the mafia world, there's killing and kidnapping... so much of darkness. Betrayal... no friendship or family. But in the life of a normal working person, there's a family and children, friends and a simple life. There's no real risk of life like in this one... maybe the people are better from some angle." 
"Hmm... you could say that. But being someone from that world, I wouldn't say it's just as dark. We also have our own trusted partners though trust is hard... some people like Mr Kim are really... different. They make this world more trustworthy." 

"Him? As if." You scoffed, playing with Azure. Jo just sighed and said, "Maybe you haven't noticed yet. Anyway... let's not talk about it then."
You noticed it all. You knew what he meant. And he was right as well. He didn't want you to hate Taehyung the way you did but he also knew why you were reacting like this. 
You just played with Azure but your mind kind of drifted away now, thinking of something else. 

He was right— as much as you hated to admit it. Taehyung wasn't as bad to you. He was just unbothered, maybe sometimes sarcastic and angry. But, he was way better than the gangsters like Joel. And you knew the majority of the gangsters were like Joel. In that sense, Jo was right. But whatever— not the point.

"One kiss is all it takes~ Falling in love with me" You sang in a low voice and played with Azure who meowed at you. You kissed her and said, "Did you fall in love with me?"
"I support LGBTQ but not if it's my cat with a human who's apparently a fathead." You heard a deep voice and frowned looking up to see Taehyung standing there with a frown. 
You both frowned at each other as you said, "What is it to you?"
"She's my cat."
"She's my best friend."

"I owned her first."
"She likes me better."
"Delusional."
"You wish." 

"And... we should have lunch at this burger place. Their burgers are awesome." Jo said, interrupting both of you glaring at each other. More like— you were glaring at him while he stood there with a slight smirk. 

—At the restaurant 

You quietly ate, suppressing your groans because the food was so delicious. Azure sat there, sniffing the food but never ate any.
"What do you eat? Do you like burgers?" You asked Azure as another voice spoke, "As if she would."
"Stop replying to questions you weren't asked. You should sign up for a circus if you're that attention-hungry." Your sharp reply made him squint his eyes at you. Jo gasped a little and looked at you and then at Taehyung.

"Did this promotion happen in the past 2 days?" Jo asked. You just scoffed and continued eating.
"Well... it'd seem stupid for someone to ask a cat meaningless questions without getting any actual responses but maybe my kindness doesn't deserve appreciation. People choose their own fate." Taehyung said. You scoffed and continued eating, ignoring him. 
"Am I going to be a beggar for 3 months?" You asked. Jo laughed out loudly making you look at him blankly. He immediately covered it with a cough but choked on his own cough and quickly reached out for water. What a mess!