Chapter 28:: Abandoned

Author's POV:

You patted his head, a soft feeling of comfort arising in you. Being nice to him was being a comfort to you now. You weren't meant to hate others, it was just impossible. 
"Hey... it's alright." You spoke again. You saw his whimpering stop as he was sleeping again. 
"Well, you're a kidnapper... a mafia. It's weird, you know. Seeing someone like you crying in their sleep like this. Come to think of it, you never even smile before me... let alone cry. I mean, you're so tough and this and that, it's impossible to think of you as a human. But... seeing you like this, I realize that you're also a human. Maybe... if you apologize to me when you're not asleep, I'll think of forgiving you. Though I'm quite not sure what your apology is for... whether it's for me or not but anyway." 

You spoke, not knowing whether he heard anything or not. A soft sigh of relief escaped your lips as you took your hands back. Soon, you called the doctor and fed him medicines and some food as he was sleeping again. The maids looked so scared of him as if he'd eat them so you ended up feeding him. He wasn't fully conscious, thank god.

Hours passed like this. And it was night now. You were asleep beside him as your head rested on your hands while you sat on a tool besides the bed. 

You felt yourself wake up as you opened your eyes to see a face staring at yours. You jolted up, staring at the face with a huge frown and wide eyes. 
"You're awake? You're okay now?" You asked as he just stared at you, his head resting against the bedboard as he was sitting quietly. 
"I am." He spoke in a low voice. You nodded and said, "Your fever?" 

"I don't know." He said. You frowned and said, "What? You- Gosh..." You sighed and shook your head, your hands automatically going to his forehead, checking his temperature. You saw him look at you, a look of alarm on his face. Taking your hand back, you said, "It's good now. Just warm... you might have a fever for a day or more... who knows?" 
You sat there, looking down. He heaved out a deep sigh before looking at your azure blue eyes. His deep brown eyes looked tired. 

"Thank you." He whispered. You frowned, quite astonished.
"Yeah?" You asked, not believing your ears but he cleared his throat, repeating, "Thank you for taking care of me." 
"Right... I deserve that!"
You said, a smile appearing on your face. You liked being credited for the things you did. 
"And..." He spoke again as you raised a brow. 

You saw him staring at you as you looked at him, confused. He examined your face for some time you saw his lips quiver. 
"I'm sorry." You frowned. Were you actually in reality? Was this all true? Was he fever-talking? 
"I'm sorry for snatching your freedom and kidnapping you in here when you're innocent. And I'm sorry for being harsh on you for some time, I've been guilty. But I do not bear any selfish or bad intentions so I hope you know that we're not as bad as you think and we'll release you as soon as 3 months are over." 

You honestly couldn't believe what you were hearing. A part of you felt angry, another one felt sad, and another one felt happy and relieved. You had no idea. You had forgiven him even before he apologized to you but hearing the apology made you feel the need to say that it was okay and you forgave him. After all, he wasn't an abuser nor as disgusting as you thought of him at first. 

"I forgave you. But don't think it means we're any good." You said. He nodded and said, "You should go to your room and rest. I can take care of myself."
"Well, I can stay. I mean, I can take care of you and then I can get some credits or ask for something in return?" 

You saw him staring at you, his lips twitching. But this time, it didn't die.

He let his lips curve upward. His lips curved upward—for the first time. Not those 1 mm curves but an honest curve, a promising one. 

He was smiling.