Chapter 30:: Smart

Author's POV: 

"Can you sit up?" 
"God, no."
"How does someone get injured so severely?! It's so weird!"
"It's a mission. Mafia business."
"Yeah, sure." 
"Why are you acting so friendly?"
"I realized it's fun to dominate you. Like- I don't know, you might change when your fever goes down so, I'll just have some fun now." 

He rolled his eyes at your reply and looked away. You smiled a little and kept the bowl of dinner down. Another day had passed by. He was doing better today, though his injury was bad his fever almost went down. You took care of him, actually. This was weird but you did take care of him, of your kidnapper. 

"Sorry for the trouble." You heard him say and looked at him asking, "Okay... it's okay." 
"I mean, it's fine if I take care of you."
He stared at you, he never heard you confess about anything like this. All you ever did was insult him and tell him how horrible he was. That was all you did, actually.
"Umm... Joel escaped though." You said, sighing. He noticed the tension in your voice as he looked down. 
"So, will he attack us again?" 

"No... he won't. He probably has bigger plans."
"Bigger plans?"
"Like... the gold mine." 
"The gold mine? Isn't that something related to my kidnapping?"
"It is." 
"Why can't I know? I deserve to know."
You said, looking at him with a slight frown. 

You saw his eyes look at you and then at his lap. He didn't know how to respond. 
"There's no response to that, actually. The truth will only break you, the least bit of faith in you."
"What is that truth?!"
You asked.
"Your uncle and everyone you trust and grew up with are involved." 
"Your father too?"
You asked.
"You overheard." 
"I did but... I still can't figure it out. My uncle and your father... it doesn't make sense."
"It never will, not to you. So, don't dig further. It'll only hurt you."

He saw your expression and sighed, swallowing a lump.
"Fine, I'll find the truth myself... maybe even if it's after me escaping this place or whatsoever." You said and rolled your eyes. He was quietly looking down. You noticed him and got up saying, "You're done eating, right? Just rest now since I've given you the medicines as well."

He saw your figure leave and sighed. He remembered how he had discovered some information a few days ago. Before attacking Joel's men in this mission, he found very secret information about this whole situation. 

"It's not just your uncle who's involved. Your father is the one who knows where the mine is. And it might've been a reason he was killed..." He whispered to himself and sighed. 

On the other hand, you were sitting on your bed, frowning.
"What is the secret which I'm never supposed to know?! It's frustrating." You rolled your eyes and sighed. But suddenly, you remembered the whimpering face of Taehyung when he was sleeping. He built such a wall between you both which no one else ever did, not even Jo. You had an idea about Jo's life, he told you and you shared some with them too. But it was him who never spoke up. It was as if he was intentionally making sure that you never know more about him than just his name. 

But you ended up knowing more, guessing more. 

"Honestly, he seems like he is sad at times. But the way he draws the lines always makes me wonder." You said, sighing. 
"Maybe it would be easier and more logical if I knew about the truth." You sighed, shaking your head. 

—Time skip 

You saw Jo entering the house. He seemed tensed. 
"Hey." You said as he smiled faintly at you asking, "How is Mr Kim doing? Sorry, I troubled you with my request. These 2 days went weird, didn't they?"
"They were fine, actually."
You said, smiling a little. He nodded and sighed saying, "I went to get a piece of information... and I got it. But I don't think Mr Kim is in a good condition. So, please don't tell him anything about this."
"Alright, sure. Not like I talk to him or anything."
Okay, now that was a lie. You did talk to him, quite a little too much in these 2 days.