Chapter 36:: Promise

Author's POV:

"Oh my god... this..." Jo gasped, holding the chip in his hand.
"Y/N, greek god! How did you find this?!" He asked. You just stared at the photo frame and said, "It fell off my hands... and broke. That's when I saw this chip."
"You didn't get hurt, right?"
Taehyung asked. You shook your head as he looked at the photo frame.
"Too clumsy." He muttered under his breath as you scoffed.
"I found something, at least." You said. He shook his head. Jo quickly connected the chip to his laptop and started opening the files or whatever was in there.

You didn't understand a thing anyway.

"It's open." He said and opened something in the laptop.
You stared at the screen. Taehyung glanced at you before looking at the screen. It was a video. 

You gasped seeing your father. 
"D-Dad.." You called. It was him in the video. He was talking. 

Your hands were shivering. But you felt a warm hand pressing against your shoulder. It was Taehyung. He barely touched you, but the warmth somehow calmed you down. It made you acknowledge that he was there—with you. 

You gulped and stared at the screen,

'I don't know who might be seeing this... hopefully, the good ones. I want to say that this entire situation was caused by my very own friends, Lee Taereul and Kim Taewoo. I thought we 3 would have the same goals. We were in this great business but they decided to go astray. They tried to earn more money by illegal drug dealing and murders. Turned out, that they had chosen the profession of mafias. They were mixing up with gangsters and God knows what worse crimes they did. But as soon as I got to know about it, I kept evidence. Even though they're my very own friends, I support the exemplary. And I planned to expose them to the police but they were clever. I got caught and now they're threatening my life. I think I don't have any safe place now and I don't have time to go to the mine either. But maybe, if someone ever comes across this, even if it's my daughter, I hope you know that the mine is somewhere in Canada. The gold mine isn't actually a gold mine. It is a place in Canada where couples go for dates. It is somewhere in the east of the area, under the ground. If they get their hands on the evidence, the innocent people who were framed because of them will get caught. My family's life is in danger and I have to save them first. I really need to get justice.' 

The video clip ended. You stared at the screen, tears streaming down your face. This heartbreak was too much to take. 
Not only did he betray your father and choose the wrong way, but he also worked behind his death. You couldn't help but feel like a huge part of you broke. It was worse now, worse than before. 
You felt Taehyung's hand rubbing your shoulders softly. You looked down, crying.

"Gold mine... isn't this place in this city? It's not that far from here. West of Gold mine. It would be the washroom. So, he hid the papers there, under the ground." Jo connected the dots and immediately noted them down on a piece of paper.
"We're not far away from getting the innocent people justice," Taehyung spoke. You were crying and had no energy to talk right now. What could you say? Your uncle whom you trusted just like your father had betrayed you.

"But... what if they got their hands on this before us? It would be a mess." Jo said. Taehyung shook his head and said, "He knew the bad ones wouldn't know about this easily." 
"How?"
"An instinct. Hope... it's what keeps us going."
Taehyung spoke. You kept crying. A part of you wished to turn around and hug him, cry in his arms. But another part of you found the urge ridiculous and refrained you from doing that. That would be an impulsive action.

"I'll go for a bit." You said and walked towards the balcony. Jo sighed as Taehyung spoke, "Betrayal hurts more than you know. Because it brings regret which is the most painful emotion." 
Jo looked down and said, "We have to go to the mine before tomorrow. They are probably on their way."
"Get things ready. We're leaving within 1 am."
Taehyung spoke, walking away. Jo nodded and started on his laptop.