Chapter 37:: Regret

Author's POV:

They were gone now, to the gold mine. You stared at the card which had Taehyung's number for some time. You were staring at it so deeply and for so long that you memorized it by now. 
"There are guards here, nothing will happen." You said and sighed. A part of you really wanted to see your uncle but another part of you was scared, of him and everything which came along with him. 

You trusted your uncle and it hurt you to know that he was the one behind so much. You had spent such a long time with them. Tzuyu and her parents were your families. You knew Tzuyu was innocent, as much as it hurt that her father was the one behind this, you knew your best friend had nothing to do with this. Your love for her would never fade, she'd be with you forever, you knew it. But the pain caused by the betrayal of a father figure was too deep. It was too hurtful and you didn't know what to do. 

You didn't want your uncle to end up in jail. You knew that Taehyung's father might've deserved it but your uncle was a good man, he did take care of you. What could've possibly made him turn the wrong way? To the point, he'd conspire against his very best friend, your father. 

"I hope... you'd be innocent." You whispered, a tear leaving your eyes. You wiped the tear and kept the card in your pocket. You were almost done packing. A few more clothes to put in and everything would be ready. 

Almost half an hour later, you were sitting in the living room while fiddling with the heart locket.
"There's something in here too..." You mumbled, staring at the locket. A part of you wanted to keep it this way but another one wanted to know the truth. Your father must've gifted this to you for a reason. 
You took a few pictures of the locket and sighed. Taking the hammer which was in the storage room, you smashed the locket, keeping it on the dining table. 

A gasp left your lips seeing a chip. With a pounding heart, you walked inside the living room and put the chip in the laptop, turning on the video that the chip contained. You were nervous. Was it something which would help Taehyung and Jo? Or was it something unexpected? You had no idea.

With shaking hands, you pressed the 'Play' button. Soon, you saw your parents. They were sitting together in the living room. So this is where they took the video. 

'Hey, sweetheart!' You saw your father grinning widely while speaking as your mother chuckled.

'We know you must be confused. Well, who knows if you ever get to see this? Tomorrow is your 5th birthday and we realized, we need a sudden surprise for you. A good wish, full of love from us for you. You can keep it for a long time... well, though this is a pretty weird way to wish you. Maybe you're old now... 18 years?'
'How about 25? 18 years is too young to figure out about the locket.'
You heard the confusion in your mom's voice. Your dad chuckled as they looked at the screen. You were crying right now. 

'Sweetie, we really hope you know that your parents love you a lot. We always will! We are a little different, right? That's why we decided to go with this type of surprise which you might or might never get to see. But if you do, it'll be our pleasure. Because we love you and we'll love you forever. Even if anything happens to us, we'll always watch you from the sky. We're here for you, always.' Your mom said, wiping her tears. Your father smiled and kissed the crown of her head saying, 'Hey, it's okay love.'

'We love you, happy birthday!' Your father said, smiling. 
"Thank you... I love you both too... so much." You cried, smiling through the tears. 
'We hope one day when you grow up, you get your dream job, good friends who are always there for you and a nice man who loves you and protects you. It's okay if you're having a bad time or a good one, these all shall pass. You'll be happy.' Your mom said. You nodded and cried out.