Chapter 19:: Trust

Author's POV: 

Taehyung sat on his grand chair in the office room accompanied by Jo who sat on the chair across the desk. 
"Sir. These are the files. Choi Y/N's father is indeed related to the whole situation." Jo said. Taehyung checked the papers as a muscle in his jaw jumped. 
"Your father, Mr Kim... Mr Lee and Mr Choi were in this together. And Mr Choi's death is definitely related to this matter. This gold mine wasn't only Mr Kim's target..." Jo said. 

"It seems like it. Maybe there is more to this gold mine than we know. Once Lee Taereul discloses the location to us, we have to hurry. My father's waiting exactly for the moment Lee discloses it. If he gets what he wants, he'll kill his own family."
"You.." Jo trailed off as Taehyung nodded, looking at the papers. He kept them inside a drawer before locking it. 
"Sir, we have 2 months and a week until Choi Y/N's release. Lee Taereul hasn't answered us yet. What should we do?" Jo asked as Taehyung looked at him.

"Until he answers, we have to keep sending him fake proof of his daughter being tortured here."
"She's being anything but tortured." 

A moment of silence until Jo spoke, "Sir, she doesn't know anything about this gold mine, does she?"
"No, she doesn't."
"Sir, will we really be able to get the gold mine before anyone else? Lee Taereul is the only one who knows the location now."
"I suspect him."
"What?"
Jo sounded confused. 

"If he knew the location, why would he let a girl who's just like his daughter be tortured in a mafia's house like this? It's been 23 days of her being here." 

Jo's face turned into a shocked frown as Taehyung stared at him, raising a brow. 
"But... we have proof that he knows where the mine is," Jo said. Taehyung clicked a tongue while playing with his pen.
"What if the proof isn't real? I've called him thrice in the past 23 days. Sending the location to us or meeting us would take a week. But it's nearly 4 weeks now."
"What if he's just abandoning Miss Y/N?" 
"If he did, we'd know it. He would prove it. But he didn't. He's buying time... more and more time. It all proves only one thing."

"Maybe... he isn't the one who knows about the mine."
"Not my father... not Lee Taereul. The only one who knows about the mine then is..."
"Someone close to this..." 

Jo gasped as Taehyung clicked his tongue, sighing. 
"Is that why Lee Taereul is delaying? Because he's working on finding the mine as well."
"Does Miss Y/N know?" 
"If she knew, Taereul would be owning it already... with my father." 

"But sir.. why does Mr Kim work with Lee Taereul?" Jo asked.
"When two lions are hunting for the same prey, working together is the best option for the job to be made easier. And after they succeed..."
"They kill off each other... for greed."

"But s-" Jo was speaking but stopped seeing Taehyung showing him his palm as a sign to stop. Frowning, he looked in the direction behind him where Taehyung's gaze was. Jo's mouth gaped seeing a shadow near the room, he immediately turned to Taehyung asking, "Should I go and see?"
"It's her. The dumb fox of the house."
Jo gulped, realizing it was no one but you. 

Yes, you were standing near the room, listening to everything—eavesdropping. 

Taehyung shook his head and whispered, "Get her ass in front of me, in the basement."
"Sir are you-"
Josh was about to ask but stopped seeing Taehyung's stare. He looked annoyed, hella annoyed. 

You, who were standing there while processing everything you just heard flinched hearing the door open. You were about to run away but a hand pulled you back as you turned around to see Jo standing there with a frown.
"OH... hey!" You waved, smiling widely. What a fake smile it was! He sighed and looked down saying, "You shouldn't have put yourself in trouble..."