Chapter Twenty Three: Final Explanations

Austin's P.O.V

*********
RECAP

"Faggot, this is Cane. He's a very good friend of Spencer. Cane, darling, this is Austin." Marisol practically purred in the man's ear.

Right as I heard the man's name, my heart all but stopped. I looked up and felt confusion fill me.

Calvin.

'That's Jace's ex-mate's name....he couldn't possibly be the same man. Why did she call him Cane?'

Cane took in a deep breath and released a small chuckle with a shake of his head,"Austin. Well, it's nice to finally meet the person I'm supposed to kill."
*************************

After meeting up with Marisol and Cane, they took me back to the pack, locked me in the basement and presented me to Alpha Spencer.

"Why are you here? You were supposed to stay away! Why did you come back!?" Spencer yelled, slamming his fist into the basement wall beside my head.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want you to hurt Jace or the pack. You said I had to leave or..." I mumbled, staring down at the ground.

"What are you talking about? I never said anything about Jace or his pack." Spencer said, his hard gaze drilling into my skull.

I stood there for a moment and stared at him, unsure of how genuine he was being with me.

His face was bright red and his eyes were clouded in thought and disbelief. His eyebrows furrowed and he was chewing on his bottom lip.

"The n-notes? The assassin y-you hired to kill me? Y-you sent me n-notes telling me to kill myself and to leave Jace's pack or y-you would attack them." I said, my eyebrows scrunching up as I quickly glanced down at the floor.

I stared down at his dusty black boots and thought for a moment. I looked back up at him and felt myself begin to tear up.

He had no idea what I was talking about.

"Austin, as much as you think I hate you, everything I did was for a reason. All that I did, was to push you away so that Jace would find you and take you away from here. It wasn't safe for you here after your mom was murdered, and your dad couldn't protect you.

"I was under special instruction to ensure that Jace would see the danger you were in by being here and steal you away. You were never supposed to come back. I regret not doing anything to keep you safe and I hate that I had to reject you, but everything had to be done.

"You may not understand anything now, but from what you've just said, we don't have much time." He spieled, turning around to face the stairs.

"I don't get it. W-why is it so dangerous here now than it was before when Marisol and all of you w-were abusing me?" I asked, intentionally ignoring the subtle flinch he gave when I said 'you.'

"Your father is a very sick man. With him, there is no inbetween. It's either kill or be killed, he never wants to die. He has this infatuation with the act of murdering someone. He takes this concept and twists it around so it accommodates his demented pleasures.

"He chooses to blindly kill anyone or anything that crosses his path, simply because it's fun. He acts as though it's a game; kill them before they realize they want to kill you.

"Your mother found out about his little hobby a bit after you were born and decided to leave him for your safety. The night she died, she had packed all of your bags and all of her own, put you in the car, and took off. She was about a mile out when he found out she was leaving. He'd come home earlier than she expected and discovered the both of you missing.