Chapter Four: Permission

Dedicated to @LenaLuna16 for being an amazing reader.

********

Chapter Four: Permission

Austin's P.O.V

~~~~~~~~
RECAP

Jace stood before me, a heartbroken look on his face while he looked down at me. He took a small step towards me, gently bringing his hand up to cup my cheek.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement, 'why didn't he hit me?'

"I will never ever hit you. Any man or woman that hits a defenseless person for no reason, deserves to be put in jail. I will never hurt you like these bastards." He said, pulling me to his chest and holding me in his arms.

"B-but why n-not? I d-deserve it." I whispered into his chest, tears pooling in my eyes.

"No, you don't. No one deserves to be beat senseless just because the bully is mad and needs a punching bag. You don't deserve it."

He stroked my hair and whispered comforting words in my ear, rubbing small circles into my back.

We stood in a comfortable silence, and I found myself hoping we wouldn't be interrupted.

For once, I don't have to be in fear of someone randomly coming to take their anger out on me.

"You'll always be safe with me, I swear on my late mate's grave, you'll always be protected."
~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Your l-late mate?" The question slipped out before I could stop myself.

"I-I'm s-so s-sowwy, I didn't mean to be rude. It was an honest mistake.... p-pweeze don't hurt me." I sputtered out.

I tensed, preparing myself for the punch that would soon follow. He set a hand on my shoulder, I flinched so hard I bit my tongue.

Tiny droplets of blood bubbled against the roof of my mouth, causing me to whimer. My tongue started burning, the fresh cut setting my mouth ablaze.

Jace pulled me impossibly close to him and held me tight, so tight I thought I would break in two.

After it was understood that he really wasn't going to hit me, I relaxed and nuzzled his neck with my face.

"What the hell have they done to you?" He growled.

He held me like he never wanted to let me go, like he would take me far away from here in mere seconds.

"I've been stabbed a few times, I w-was pushed down the stairs f-four times I think. I've been b-burned across my chest with the stove three times, we-we don't play with f-fire...I have other burns as w-well."

I paused to take a deep breath, painful memories flashing across my brain as they spilled from between my lips.

"They carved words into my back once..they just out right humiliate me whenever they have the chance."

If I'm being honest, that isn't even half of what they've done to me. I don't want to tell him everything, I felt like if I tell him the gruesome stuff he'll tell me I deserve it.

Jace growled in response and abruptly pushed me away. It hurt, but I'm not surprised. People tend to do that after a while.

He began to pace and I couldn't help the tears that pooled in my eyes.