Chapter Fourteen: Do You Accept?

Jace's P.O.V

~~~~~~~~
RECAP

Sighing in relief, I stood with him in my arms and, "we'll finish this later, but you heard the woman."

Giggling, Austin nodded his head and allowed me to carry him up the stairs and to my room. On the way there, he set his head on my shoulder and began to play with a strand of my hair, causing me to fondly smile down at him.

Twenty minutes later and a few misguided attempts at losing focus, we were finally ready to go. I made sure he knew where he was supposed to wait for me to send for him, before making my way to the backyard.

Here we go....
~~~~~~~~

I glanced out the doorway to see hundreds of my kin standing or sitting in my backyard. They were talking among themselves as they waited for the meeting to begin, some lazing about while others playful wrestled.

I sighed in content as I saw my brothers and sisters getting along, it rarely happened so it was a pleasure.

I glanced around a noticed a podium overlooking the crowd, there was a microphone attached to the tabletop, and a bottled water sitting next to it. I guess that's where I'm going to stand. I slowly stepped out from my refuge behind the door and started towards the podium.

As people began to notice my arrival, the talking came to a halt and everyone began to stand. I chuckled and climbed up the stone steps to the mic. and motioned for everyone to sit.

One would think I was judge by the way they were acting just now.

"Hello everyone, how're you feeling on this fine warm evening?" I asked, smiling when everyone gave a whoop of delight.

"That's what I though." I stated.

After a brief moment to allow some stragglers to settle in, I decided that it was time to get down to business.

"Everyone, I called you here today, because I wanted to share some delightful news with you." My voice shook as my nervousness began to grow.

Everyone looked up at me expectantly, waiting for whatever news I had to tell them. I took a deep breath and hoped that they wouldn't hate me for what I'd inevitably say once Austin came out.

"We have a new pack member." I paused for them to clap, a few people asking questions as to he or she is, where they were at, and such.

"His name is Austin Justine Smith, and he has recently joined us after his pack so carelessly abused him. He is very shy, so let's give a nice, quiet welcome to the pack." I stated, turning to my left and holding my hand out to a very terrified looking Austin.

"Come on, hun, they won't bite." I whispered, trying my best to coax him to me.

"Not unless you ask me to!" Someone yelled from the crowd, causing her friends to giggle at her comment.

I let a low warning growl, silencing the giggling and replacing it with a few people saying, "sorry Alpha."

I ignored them and kept my attention on Austin. He'd taken two steps out of the shadows and was now slowly placing his hand in mine. I softly, but firmly, gripped his hand in mine and pulled up next to me on the podium.

"Austin, this is the pack, your pack. This is your new home, no one will ever treat you the way they did at your old pack, unless they want to challenge me." A few people gasped, as they hadn't yet grasped the seriousness of this situation 'til now.

"Everyone, say hello to Austin."

Everyone stood, smiles on their faces and waved to Austin. A few people cupped their hands around their mouths and shouted:

"Welcome to pack Austin."

"We're so glad you're part of the pack Austin."

I think I even heard one person say, "you'll never go back to the place you came from, we'll make you feel welcome."

Austin had tears in his eyes as his eyes rolled over the pack, "t-thank you guys, y-you d-don't know h-how much t-this mean t-to m-me."

The crowd awed and some of the women put their hands over their hearts, pulling their pups closer to them and kissing their heads.

Without thinking, I pulled Austin to my chest and held him close to my body. I whispered sweet things into his ear and rubbed his back with the palm of my hand.

No one seemed to mind that I'd done this, and Austin wasn't protesting either, so I slwoly relaxed. I held him a few moments more until his crying subsided, releasing him, but keeping a tight grip on his hand.

I turned back to the pack and spoke. I ignored the microphone, I didn't need it, my voice was all I needed.

"Listen up everyone." The crowd quieted, when the Alpha spoke, everyone listened, especially if you were well respected.

"I don't think this will be a problem, but I feel the need to make this clear anyway. Anyone who dares to physically, mentally, emotionally, even spiritually abuse Austin in any, way, shape, or form will be banished from the pack. Anyone who intentionally hurts him or makes him feel not welcomed will be made a rogue. Lastly, anyone who threatens his life will have to deal with me, and let's just say you won't live to tell people what I did to you. Is that understood?" I demanded, smiling in satisfaction when everyone dropped to their knees and bared there necks in submission.

Good.

"Alright, on a lighter note, we are going to finish up this ceremony, then party 'til the hunt starts." A lot of the younger wolves yipped when I said hunt, causing a smile to form on my face.

"Austin." I turned to him, my voice softening so I wouldn't scare him, "would you please raise your right hand."

He obliged and timidly looked up at me with his hand in the air.

"Do you, Austin Justine Stephens hereby swear in front of all these witnesses to never betray, harm, or try to destroy this pack?"

"I swear."

"Do you swear to always stay loyal to this pack and your Alpha no matter what the situation?"

"I swear."

"Do you swear to put your life on the line to protect this pack, and to never intentionally hurt a pack member?"

"I swear."

"Lastly, do you swear to never leave the pack in a time of danger or need?"

"I swear."

~~~~~~~~~