Chapter Twenty Four: The Battle

Jace's P.O.V

************
RECAP

"Who was that lady to you?" I asked, holding my breath as his face reddened and his knuckles turned white.

A few minutes passed as the air grew tense around us, not a single noise being made except for the chirping of birds just outside of our eyesight.

I assumed I'd struck a nerve and accepted the silence as his answer. I sat back in my seat and stared out the window, watching the flurry of trees rush by in a blur.

I'd gotten so accustomed to the silence that I was startled into a violent jerk when Spencer spoke once again.

"That woman," he began, pausing to take a deep breath and regain the composure he tried so hard to maintai.

"That woman....that woman was my mother."
************

"What was that?" I asked, looking over at Tristan in alarm.

"I don't know, sir." He answered, his ears perking up.

We were surrounded by an eerie silence as we listened for the noise again.

"I don't think it's going to ha-" I started, grimacing and grasping my ears as another scream powered through the air.

A series of anguished screams filled the air; scream after scream, plea after plea, the peaceful silence ceased to exist.

I looked out of my office window to see rogue wolves surrounding my pack members. A few of the pack warriors were fending off the savages while others helped gather children.

"Find out what's going on and get all women and children to safety! Anyone who is old enough and willing to fight needs to meet me by the front door! Go!" I yelled, rushing out the door as I gave my orders.

"Yes sir!"

I vaguely heard his reply as I ushered women and children coming up the stairs towards the back of the house.

I made my way towards the front door in mock calm as a few children walked passed me.

"You guys need to be brave for your Alpha now, okay? Follow your parents to the attic and make sure you follow their instructions carefully.

We're going to play a game of hide-n-seek; you guys go hide and when everything's alright, Alpha will come and find you, okay? How does that sound?"

A few of them nodded, grabbing the person nearest to them by their hands and sharing nervous smiles.

"We're big kids now, right?" One of the youngest, Amethyst, asked, her bright purple eyes staring up at me.

"Of course, love. Now go on and hide, I'm counting. One hundred..ninety-nine.."
I pretended to cover my eyes as they ran further up the steps, giggles filling the air.

One of pack moms smiled at me and followed them, sending me a silent plea.

'Come back safe.'

*****

I hurriedly finished my decent and spotted Jared standing in the middle of the foyer with Dean clutched tight in his arms. The poor pup was whining in the direction Jared was looking and squirming around in his arms.

Jared didn't seem to notice as he continued to stand there with terror written across his young features.

"Jared?" I called, marching over to where he still stood.