Chapter Thirteen: Before We Meet The Pack

Jace's P.O.V

~~~~~~
RECAP

"H-how about t-this one?" I stuttered, intrigued by the cute little thing.

"Courage The Cowardly Dog? That was my favorite show when they used to play it when I was like ten, best cartoon in the world." Jace exclaimed, a spark of remembrance in his eyes.

I smiled again and clicked play all and watched as the video loaded. I set the remote down next to our bag of snacks and curled my body into his. My legs were bent and leaning against his side, and my head was still laying on his chest.

My arms were wrapped around his left arm, as his were wrapped around me once more. The screen lit up and the audio boomed out of the speakers.

The show danced across the screen, and try as I may, my eyes wouldn't stay open. My eyelids drooped closed and I was powerless to stop them.

Giving up my retaliation, I allowed my eyes to drop shut and let my mind wonder into oblivion. Before I completely lost consciousness, I felt a feathery touch on my ear, and heard a whisper.

"I'll be here when you wake up, but for now goodnight sleep tight, I love you."
~~~~~~~~

I slowly opened my eyes, surprised to find nothing but complete darkness. I instantly tensed and readied myself for any signs of a threat, only to freeze when I felt two tiny arms moving against my chest.

I looked down and drew in a deep breath.

There on my chest lay a beautiful, tiny boy, squirming around and trying to get comfortable. I slowly shifted and relaxed a bit, pulling him to me tighter. With a contended sigh, Austin stopped squirming and rested his head against my left shoulder.

I smiled down at this innocent creature, still wondering how anyone would even think to harm him the way those bastards did. People don't seem to understand beauty these days, it's almost understandable why humans call us vicious animals.

With a quiet but frustrated sigh, I slowly and as gently as possible, gathered him up in my arms and sat up. With as much grace as I could muster, I carefully stood up and held my breath.

I waited for his delicate eyelids to slide open, but all he did was nuzzle his face into my neck and let out another sigh before settling again.

Feeling rather accomplished with myself, I softly told the room to power off and walked towards the door. The screen and surrounding lights shut off, one by one, enveloping the room in darkness.

I skillfully opened the door without jostling Austin and stepped into the hallway. I left the door ajar, I would have to return later to clean up the mess we made, and made my way to my room.

I nudged my bedroom door open and walked towards the bed, making extra sure there was nothing in my way. I moved the blankets out of the way and set my little angel down in the middle of the mattress. I gently tucked him in and kissed his forehead, leaning back to admire his beauty.

Perfection like this shouldn't have had the dreadful chance of meeting such people like his  old 'pack.' I can't wrap my head around the fact that anyone would even think about hurting someone as precious as him.

With one last kiss to his cheek, I slipped out of the room and silently shut the door. On my way back to the theater, my mother intercepted me, cornering me in the middle of the walkway.