Chapter Eighteen: Apologies Are For The Dead Pt. 1

Austin's P.O.V

************
RECAP

"Don't cry, Tiny, what happened? Did someone say something to you while I was gone?" His concern caused my breath to falter, my lungs hitching as I looked into his eyes.

I guess he's going to continue this little game of his until the end....why does everything have to be ruined for me?

One thing is all I ask, one thing.

I'm not like everybody else asking for tons of material things. I don't give a damn about cars, money, or fame, that means nothing to me.

I just wish to be happy.

I want to feel carefree and full of worth. I want someone to genuinely care about me, to tell me they care.

I just want to smile a genuine smile without having to worry about hiding it from all who want to do me harm.

I....I just want to feel important.

Is that too much to ask?
************

"Babe, I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong." He pleaded, trying to get me to look at him.

I couldn't. Every time our eyes would connect, I could hear his mothering telling him that we shouldn't be together. I could hear the criticism in her voice as she tried to tell him to stay away from me.

I can't help but think that maybe....just maybe, he listened to her and is about to make me leave at any moment. What I have yet to understand is why he would be so cruel as to prolong this moment. Why would he do this to me?

I guess he's waiting for me to say something so he wouldn't have to feel guilty about it later.

With a heavy sigh, I looked at him and said, "well isn't there something you want to tell me?"

I had meant for it to sound rude, but it came out as a soft and shaky whisper. To be honest, I sounded quite pitiful. No wonder he wants to leave me for someone better....someone stronger.

"Actually, there is...." He trailed off, glancing to the left before facing me once more. He then took a huge breath and spoke once more.

"There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to say it. The only thing I ask is that you not hate me or judge me too harshly before you my side of things."

I stared at him in disparity, he wasn't making this any easier by rambling.

"I didn't want to do it, but she gave me no choice in the matter, so I'm just going to say it....right now. At this exact moment in time, here and now, right in front of you. You'll be the first person to know before I tell the pack. Okay, here goes." He continued to ramble.

Once he got that last bit out, he took in a deep breath and held it in for a moment. He expended it in one large huff and began to count to ten. By the time he got to five I was all out of patience. My leg was jittering up and down, tears sprang to my eyes again, and my breaths were shallow from the suspense.

I was so out of it that I hadn't realized I was talking until I heard myself whisper, "for the love of god would you just tell me you're kicking me out already."