CHAPTER 28: SOLVING

Zelfon was speechless after looking at Xcerox. He flinches when Xcerox starts to get near him and glowers at him.

"Why have you never told me any of this?!" He asked in a small yell.

Zelfon could not understand for a moment. Was Xcerox asking about the past or his well-being?

He moved his body to sit and felt a tinge of pain in his head. It seems just like before, the scramble memories were still unable to piece together. The pain was hidden by his expressionless face.

"What now, Xcerox? Clearly, you have never allowed me to explain. Why after seeing me like this that you felt the need to ask? I have nothing to say to you. Please leave." 

Zelfon turned paler because of the incoming headache. He didn't want to have a further conversation because it was pointless. It will become worse like always. He knows he was unable to tell Xcerox anything because he can't remember the past.

Moreover, it felt like he did see a boy get killed but the blood and scattered pearls along with the screaming and burning house, everything wasn't clear to him. When he tried to remember, the headache became more severe. It was like his brain automatically shut down the awful memories to protect him.

Xcerox breathes heavily. He pushed his hair back.

'Calm down, Xcerox! Don't provoke him! He is injured!'

Xcerox scolded himself internally. He still takes note of Zelfon's appearance. This was the first time since he had the argument to look at Zelfon clearly. 

The latter was sweating and Xcerox could see he was holding his pain silently. He took the chair beside Zelfon's patient bed and sat on it. Zelfon glared at him.

'Did he not understand me or did he like to see me torment? Would he be satisfied then?'

Zelfon slowly gets angry but the headache makes his sight a little blurry. He closed his eyes immediately and let himself fall onto the bed again. He turns his body away from seeing Xcerox.

He won't talk anymore. It's better for him to sleep. A few minutes later…

'Shit! Is he still not going to get out? I can't sleep knowing he was behind me.'

Zelfon cursed silently. 

Unbeknownst to him, Xcerox was looking at him with guilt and sorrow. He hated himself for not trying to find out about Zelfon's circumstances in the past. He should have helped Zelfon and stayed by his side while believing in the latter.

Isn't Zelfon his best friend too? How could he have ignored his friend's pain and added more to it when the latter might need him the most?

When Zelfon didn't talk to him, he was reminiscing about the wrong assumption and mistakes he had made in the past until now. He was cruel and more to a demon instead of a human.

Xcerox cupped his face and another set of tears fell down his cheeks. He was unable to ask for forgiveness and when he wanted to apologise, the words were unable to let out from his lips. It was the reason there was a silent moment for both of them.

Zelfon's eyes open once more and he stares at the curtain that was hiding him from the sunlight. He sighs.

In the end, he couldn't ignore the big package behind him. They need to talk. It will be impossible to reconcile after many years but this could be their only chance to correct the misunderstanding. 

After all, he was older than Xcerox by a year. It was childish of him to make the same tantrum as Xcerox. He was the brother. He needs to act maturely and calmly.