Behind The Mask

Sitting by the river was a figure in a black tattered cloak- hood covering his face along with a mouthless facemask as his arms up to the fingertips was covered in a black wrap as black leather straps stopped at the mid forearm.

Black pants and boots could also been seen as the figure was recognized as Spade- sitting by the river with the brown leather book that was recently discovered by Eva.

"I still don't get him" Lani began to say as they were a distance away bathing while Eva continued on to wash herself until Lani turned to face her "Are you even listening?!" She slightly shouted while splashing water on Eva.

She gasped and looked at her with all undivided attention and irritation written all over her face "I don't get why you even dislike him as much as you do in the first place, he's not a bad guy Lani" Eva said while walking out of the water.

"I'm not saying he's a bad guy!!" Lani began to argue back while chasing behind her companion up the hill out of the water while grabbing their towels "I'm just saying I don't get him is all" Lani finished as Eva rolled her eyes while sighing slowly.

"What is it you don't get? Everything seems very simple to me"

"And how could you get it?!" Lani retorted back loudly "He's this mysterious ass guy who showed the fuck up out of nowhere claiming to be the end of the council and a backstory that's just as shady" Lani said while crossing her arms.

"Why does any of that matter? As long as he's on our side I don't give a damn how shady he is" Eva said while wrapping the towel around her body.

Then that was when they both felt it, something calming coming from Spade's direction of the lake, it was as if they could feel something at the tips of their fingers almost like electricity.

It was heavy but calm like it could overwhelm and swallow you whole, they looked at him and could feel how the magic around them was responding to him and it left them in awe.

After another moment it stopped as he slowly got up and headed into the woods "For a guy that strong I wonder how he isn't on the council's radar" Lani said as a breeze blew by them slightly.

"Or we can assume they know my existence" They heard a male voice speak out from behind them as they did a full three sixty turn to see Spade standing behind them.

All they could see was those cold amber eyes of his staring back at them through the holes of his mask while his tattered cloak blew in the wind 'How did he get behind me that quickly?! I should've sensed him I know I should've!!' Lani screamed at herself mentally as Spade looked over at Eva.

"Our next mission involves being a body guard to a judge, I would advise against you two from revealing your last names when you're around him~ or even revealing them at all" He said while walking past them.

"And why is that?" Lani said stopping him in his tracks "Because the Judge we are guarding is a council spy~ when he was active that is, and given that you two are running from the council it's wise to not reveal your names don't you think?" He said to Lani while walking off.

He stood by the road as he looked over to his left seeing how much further there had to go as he sighed slowly "Now that we done camping I guess it's time to hit the road?" Eva asked as he nodded slowly while looking over to the carriage to see the horses walking over by his command.

"Yeah, once we're inside the carriage I'll contact the city letting them know we'll be there on time as scheduled and after speaking to the judge I'll figure out our game plan for protecting him" He said while turning to hop onto the front of the carriage in order to guide the horses onto their correct path.