Chunin Exams Finals

-Konoha Hospital-

The Hokage was an old man but at times like this he truly felt his age, when the young are injured or killed it reminds him of all those that fell before over the years. At the moment he was in a hallway with Hiashi. After Hiashi and Naruto managed to get help and bring Hayate to the hospital it had been looking grim. The man had so many injuries and had lost so much blood, it was true that medial jutsu could do wonders that even doctors that couldn't use chakra could do, and it still had limits. It also wasn't like his old student Tsunade was still around either. Ever since she left the medical field had lost someone that could have tough so much to the next generation. Although Konoha's medical ninja were top of the line thanks to her earlier work, there was still room to grow.

After Hiashi had left, the Hokage had been given the details, that night he hadn't slept very well and even now the lack of sleep showed. Hayate had been at death's door the entire night and as he came to the hospital in the morning he had checked up on the man.

"So there was nothing to be done then," Hiashi stated as he was told that Hayate had passes away in the night.

The Hokage sighed, "None, the wounds were too bad for him to survive for long. That is why I called for you and Naruto, as the only witnesses I need to know if there was anything he said or anything you saw that would tell us who did this, and why. Although what were you two doing out at night anyway?"

Hiashi to his credit didn't show any emotion on his face given the reasons why they had been out there. After everyone he had gone home last night to his frantic daughter. Apparently she had asked what had happened and why Naruto wasn't around, she heard the story of her father chasing Naruto for some reason. So after a very long and embarrassing talk, he found out that Naruto hadn't made his daughter do something inappropriate. Although the boy would have to be watched just in case that he got it into his head that he could take liberties with his daughter before a deadline was set. He would have to make it known that in no uncertain terms, that Hinata would remain 'pure' until she was married. And as head of clan Hyuga he would see to that and heaven protect anyone that tried to stop that.

"It was a private manner that has been resolved for the most part," Hiashi said not wanting to go into detail.

The Hokage gave him a look but didn't press the matter, he got the feeling it was unimportant to these events and where of a personal nature. Normally he would be curious but not with something like this hanging over their heads. It was very troubling, there was an ill wind blowing in the village, he could feel it in his old bones but where it was coming from, and what it brought he didn't know.

Down the hallway another figure was lurking, Kabuto had heard the report from Baki and he was disappointed in the Suna ninja for not making sure the job was done. Now he had to see if Hayate not only lived but spoke to anyone. The problem was getting in there he could dress up as an ANBU, that was easiest to slip in after taking one out. But two deaths this close together would make everyone go on high alert. He had tried to sneak in several times but ANBU were everywhere in teams. He had first tried to sabotage the operation his medical skills were good enough to do that unnoticed. But he couldn't slip in, by the time he had got to the hospital it had already been underway and anyone else just walking in would have been noticed.

He had tried later to sneak into the intensive care room, there were many little things he could have done to make it look like the man just hadn't survived the surgery. But the place was too well guarded he couldn't even get close, at least not without killing anyone. If Orochimaru's plans were ruined things would not go well, the man did not tolerate failure.

He felt someone walk up behind him and quickly turned around and put on his 'mask' of the innocent little genin. He was surprised to see Naruto Hatake of all people walking upt he hallway. The young masked boy looked at him and seemed to get happier.