Chapter 14: A Dirty Job Well Done

Zelda sat at the writing desk, looking at her reflection in the Sheikah Slate camera before deciding that the braid in her hair had been properly done. After adjusting the collar of the dress she had chosen for today, she turned off the camera and laid the slate back on the desk's surface. With a deep breath in an attempt to prepare herself for the day, she glanced over at the empty bed in the corner before standing and exiting the home. The moment she stepped out into the snow, she looked around and noticed her lover standing in front of the stables.

"Good morning," she said when she came within earshot. "Tending to the horses, are we?"

"Hey," Link said without looking at her. With a rake in his hands and a bucket at his feet in the snow, he shuffled around the hay and dirt in Epona's stable. "I felt bad. I forgot to feed them yesterday, so as an apology, I'm cleaning out their stables."

"That's kind of you," Zelda replied, looking around before spotting the horses. While their caretaker was busy with their stalls, both the mare and stallion roamed the large cliffside yard, attempting to find loose pieces of grass to eat beneath the powdery snow. "I'm sure Epona and Storm will be pleased."

"I sure hope so, because this is not a fun job," Link chuckled.

"I could only imagine," Zelda said, watching as he shifted through the bed of hay. "I noticed you weren't in bed when I woke up. Are you... okay?"

"I'm fine," Link said, again without looking up from his task. "Better actually. I did some exercises to clear my head after you fell asleep. Also, thank you for bandaging my arm. It really helped the swelling go down."

"Of course," she said. "I'm glad you're feeling better."

The silence grew between them with only the sound of shifting hay and dirt from Link's rake filling their ears. Suddenly, Zelda glanced up at the sky.

"Dawn is beginning to pass, so I'd best be on my way," she said, beginning to turn away.

"Here," Link said, finally pausing his work. He reached behind him and pulled a small pouch off of his belt. After looking down at it to ensure it was the right pouch, he held it out to her. "Veggie rice balls. There's an Endura carrot in there, so it should give you some extra energy today. And don't worry, I just started this job here and haven't found anything, so I'm still clean."

"Link, I..." Zelda began, taking the pouch of rice balls into her hand. Unable to find any more words, all she could do was lean forward and peck him on the cheek before saying, "thank you."

"Yeah," he responded with a small smile. "Have a good day today."

"You too," she said.

After a moment of staring into each other's eyes, Zelda turned and went on her way. Link's smile remained as he watched her cross the bridge and disappear past the Bolson Construction company houses. Soon, however, his smile faded as he turned back to the stables and began to work. Gears had started to turn in his head. Thoughts that soon turned into ideas, and ideas that eventually turned into plans.

Maybe a quick visit wouldn't hurt, he thought to himself as he raked up and placed hardened horse dung into the bucket. It would be in and out. It shouldn't take too long...

Suddenly, he felt something press against his shoulder. He looked over to see Epona pushing her muzzle against him. Link sighed, pausing his raking to place a hand on her nose.

"You won't say anything, right, girl?"

*     *     *     *     *

Zelda stared down at the pouch in her hands as she walked through the roads of Hateno Village. It was still warm, meaning Link must have only made them an hour or less prior to when he gave them to her. The aroma of rice and carrots filled her nostrils as she walked, forcing the corners of her mouth to curl upwards. The only thing that pulled her gaze away from the pouch of food was the glimpse of a darker-skinned Hylian with white hair walking in her oncoming direction.