Chapter 58: A Start in Kakariko

Twisting and turning was all she felt she could do. At first, something was holding her, as if trying to resist her, trying to escape her. It was hot, almost searing. Drops of sweat fell from her head until finally, she was free. She had a moment to relax, at least that's what she believed. Suddenly, she felt constricted. Her windpipe was blocked as her neck was crushing in on itself. It was standing over her, the one keeping her from taking a breath, before she was thrown. Coughing, trying to clear herself, she got to her knees, but again, she was pushed. Her back was against something, and now the searing heat had returned, but this time only in her stomach.

All this pain, all this suffering: she needed him. She looked around, but he wasn't there. He was so far and constantly growing further. She didn't want him to go, she was trying so hard to help him. Held... she wanted to be held, to be rid of the heat searing all over her body. The wrappings had returned and now her body was boiling. She continued to twist and turn, reaching out for him. She desperately wanted to wrap her arms around him.

Her arms outstretched, fighting back against the heat around her, until finally, she gripped something. It was soft and fluffy, definitely not the dense, lean muscles of the one that usually slept next to her. Wincing at the morning sun, Zelda opened her eyes with a start to find herself in the bed Impa had offered her the night before. Having to keep one eye closed to bear the light, she looked at her hand, which was firmly gripping the pillow her head was resting on.

With a groan, she pushed herself up, rubbing her eyes in order to force them to adjust to the light. After a yawn, she looked down at the sheets that covered her body, finding them tangled around her. Furrowing her brow, she pushed her now wild hair out of her face. Had she really become that messy of a sleeper?

Closing her eyes, she tried to remember the dream she was having before she awoke. She vaguely recalled bits and pieces, but it was already fading. It was strange to her; it had been some time since she had a nightmare like that. Suddenly, she looked back down at the hand she found gripping her pillow, something it was still doing. It was then that it dawned on her.

Is it because Link isn't here? she wondered to herself.

Despite the disagreements they had, Link had been by her side for months straight, especially at night. Even if he wasn't in the bed where he usually was with her, he was at least somewhere in the house. This was the first time they had been separated like this since Maz Koshia's trials. It was uncomfortable—even worrying— to be without him.

After a moment of thought, she shook her head, causing the messy golden strands to flail around. She had to get used to this. They would be separated for the next month, something both of them chose was for the best as of now. It's not like they could be attached at the hip forever. It was healthy to have some time apart and put their minds to other things. She had a mission: to set up a festival to celebrate the champions and help Link process his grief, along with bringing the races of Hyrule together again. That was her goal, the thing she would focus on, and she would succeed.

She took a breath, one deep enough to clear her mind for a moment before looking over at the other bed across the room. There, sleeping just as messy as she had been, was Celessa, tied up in blankets with her usually tied-up hair sprawled across the pillow. The only difference was she looked to be enjoying her dream, whatever it was.

After pausing to look at her friend, Zelda slowly brought her legs to the side of the bed and stood. Quietly, she slipped her boots on and sneakily headed down the stairs, where two voices began to grow louder with each step down she took. They sounded hushed, as if trying not to wake those sleeping above, but eventually, their words were able to be made out.

"—can't leave you! Wha... What about our responsibilities? Pra... Pra... Praying to the statue, and the housework, and shopping?"

"I've told you countless times this morning alone that all will be well with you gone," Impa's voice said. At this, Zelda stopped in her tracks halfway down the stairs. "I'm not such a helpless, frail old lady. I don't need my own granddaughter in order to get housework done. I run a village, my dear."