Chapter 24: The Age of Burning Fields

The moon had long risen over the village, though its moonlight was mostly obscured by darkened clouds slowly traversing through the sky. Because of this, the only lights that illuminated Hateno—besides the glowing blue shrine that sat near the mountain wall— were the flickering yellow windows of people's homes. As the night continued, these specks of light darkened, and went out. Soon, the village practically vanished into the shadows of the mountains surrounding it. Despite the late hours, one building remained illuminated. Sitting away from the rest of the village, up the winding path and on the mountain peak, was the tech lab. Though it was a dim light, if the villagers below didn't know any better, some would have confused it for a fallen piece of a shooting star. Inside the building, the two researchers who occupied its walls were still awake and working.

Sitting at the table in the center of the room was the large, older researcher, who was stroking his short, graying beard as he diligently flipped through the pages of a thick, ancient-looking book. In one of the corners, a much smaller researcher, dressed in her usual frilly skirt, was standing on top of a chair, facing a much smaller desk in the corner. With her strange, technological goggles on, she carefully worked on a small device with a pair of even smaller tools in hand. It was at times like these that she appreciated having her tiny hands, seeing how they allowed her to work on such delicate projects with ease.

The two had been sitting in silence for some time, each completely absorbed in their tasks. It was so quiet; all that could be heard in the room was the occasional light tap of the girl's tools or the rhythmic scratching of paper whenever the man turned a page. Even the crickets, who were chirping outside in the darkness of the grass, could be heard from inside. Though it was peaceful, it wasn't long before the little girl spoke up and broke the hushed atmosphere.

"Symin, I think it's about time you snapped that book closed and got some rest," she said without looking up from her device. Symin, who couldn't look up as well, simply shook his head.

"Sorry, Director, but I can't stop here," he said, flipping another page. "After this, I have two more books on the following subject I need to complete. It'll help with my study on the transitional process our ancestors used to liquefy information—"

"Which is something that can be put on hold until tomorrow morning," she said, cutting her apprentice off. "You're not as young as you used to be. You need to get proper rest."

"You're not that young yourself, Director," Symin said, looking up from behind his spectacles.

"You can say that when I return to my proper state," the director replied before adding, "Trust me, I wish I could go and shut my eyes for a bit, but unfortunately, this body gives me more energy than I know what to do with. I'll be heading to bed soon after, but please be mindful of your health while working under me."

"You know, now that I think about it," Symin said as he closed his book and set it on the table. "If memory serves me right, this is the first time you've ever considered one's health when it comes to work such as ours. Usually, you'd have no problem working someone to the bone to get something done. May I ask what brings on the sudden change?"

The apprentice braced himself, ready to be verbally reprimanded for questioning the director's orders. While she looked young, there still was a soul much older than his own in there, and regardless of who it was, she did not like being questioned. Yet, the little girl remained quiet while she continued to work on her little device. This was unusual behavior from her, someone who was usually so eager to learn as much as she could as quickly as possible. Symin opened his mouth to speak, ready to apologize regardless of her silence, but before he could, she spoke up.

"Rest is important," she said as her fingers worked, "At least, when one rests properly, that is. If you don't, you'll end up... Well—"

"Like Link?" Symin asked with a raised eyebrow.