Chapter 53: Mending Connections

Jules stared down at the silky Gerudo outfit in her hands. With a deep breath, she shoved it into the bag that was sitting on her bed, along with a few other sets of clothing that had been laying on the sheets. With the bed cleared, she turned to the nightstand that sat next to the headboard and pulled it open, rummaging through the drawer to pull out any clothes she had remaining in there from the past few months of renting it out.

"Where are you off to this evening?"

Surprised by the sudden voice, Jules turned toward the staircase to see the clerk standing on the top step. Brushing her straight brown hair out of her eyes, she raised an eyebrow.

"Usually people check in at this time of the day, not out," she said. "It's also dangerous to leave at this time."

"Come on, Prima," Jules sighed. "You know why I'm leaving."

"I can take a good guess," the clerk answered, "the same way I'm sure you can guess why I've come up here."

"I can," Jules said, returning to the nightstand drawer. "There's no point in staying."

"Jules, everyone made mistakes these past few months," Prima said, but Jules shook her head.

"Not as many as I've made," she said. "Thinking I could actually be there for Link, pushing Zelda to do better when I couldn't even do that-"

"While a lot of that has some truth, you know Zelda was being just as bad, if not worse," Prima cut in. "Besides, there's a good chance Link, Zelda, and Celessa would be dead had it not been for you. Regardless, it's all over now, so-"

"Prima, look, I appreciate the kind words, but even knowing that..." Jules said, stuffing more clothes into her bag. "I still think it's time for me to leave."

"And where will you go?" Prima asked. "There aren't many other Hylian residences other than Lurelin, and I doubt any stable will be as good as here."

"Lurelin doesn't sound too bad," Jules said, tightening up her bag. "I actually hear it's a pretty relaxing place. I could use that. I left Gerudo Town to find myself; to figure out what I'm gonna do with myself."

"I think you can do that here," Prima said, folding her arms. "At least stay for another night and think about it, a free night- on me-so come downstairs and have a good time. If you still want to leave in the morning, I won't stop you."

With that, she turned and began heading back down the stairs, only pausing when Jules called back out to her.

"Why do you want me to stay so badly?" she asked. "I don't have infinite rupees, you know, so if you just want a regular customer-"

"Link and Zelda aren't the only two here in this village, or in this inn," Prima cut in. She stepped back up the stairs, just enough to where she could meet Jules's eyes. "I know the truth: you don't want to look at those two, especially now that they're on good terms. I know it hurts, but they're still your friends. Both Link and Zelda. Besides, even without them, Celessa would be pretty disappointed if you left without saying anything, and... maybe I would too."

Jules's face softened as Prima gave her a small grin.

"It's much easier to figure things out with friends rather than getting stuck in your own head. You should know that after everything that's happened," Prima continued to lecture. "Now put that bag away and get down here before more guests show up. You'll lose your usual seat if you don't hurry now."

Again, the clerk disappeared down the stairs. Jules blew through her nose, frustrated as she looked down at the bag sitting on her bed. She bit the inside of her mouth before sighing and releasing the bag, allowing it to lazily fall to its side on the sheets. Giving in to Prima's words, she lazily crossed the room and followed down the staircase to find villagers pouring into the inn through the large double doors.