Chapter 57: A Prince's Responsibilities

A low level of freezing water flowed down the elegantly carved rivers of luminous stone, passing through and around the domain in which the Zora's lived. It was a beautiful place, standing on carved, intricate pillars that kept it high above the deep waters it sat over. While the domain always had a certain glow, today its sparkle wasn't just from the bright stone. Icicles covered the domain's roofs, and patches of ice and snow were scattered across the flooring. Instead of clear blue skies, there were only gray clouds and winter air. As the gray clouds slowly passed over, the prince of the Domain glanced up at the dull morning skies.

"Another winter morning," he said to himself before smiling. "No matter. We'll just have to try our best again today. That's what we Zora have to do during the winter seasons."

"You say that, but even you must see how dire our situation is," a grumpy voice called from behind.

"Come now, Muzu," Sidon said cheerfully, turning on the balcony he stood on to see the old wrinkled stingray-like Zora hobbling toward him. "Being pessimistic won't get us anywhere other than more hungry. Besides, you act as though winter isn't harsh every year for us Zora."

"Which is why you should be treating this matter with utmost importance," Muzu claimed.

"And I am," Sidon said. "I understand your concern, but I'd say my hands are tied here. Unless—"

"You know you are forbidden to go," Muzu said instantly. Sidon frowned.

"But, Muzu," he protested, "the solution to our problems is right in front of us! If you'd just allow me to take on the beast near Ralis Pond, then maybe our people would be better off for the remainder of the winter."

"And if something happened to you, whether injured or worse, then what?" Muzu questioned.

"If I were injured, then my father would simply run the domain, just as he always has," Sidon said. "As for the other possibility, I'm saddened you think that lowly of my skills. I'm not a child anymore, Muzu."

"Neither was your sister, and yet she is no longer with us," Muzu said.

"Muzu, we've been over this," Sidon said. "We can't keep living in the past. At some point, I will take over as king of this domain. I can't be kept at bay forever."

"Do not think I'm letting our loss hinder my thinking as before," Muzu stated calmly. "Your sister is simply the most accurate example. It's as you said, Prince Sidon: at some point, the domain will be yours to rule. Even now, our people look up to you, especially the younger generation of Zora. You are our pride, and if you were to even be slightly injured, the domain's morale would be greatly diminished, something we don't need when our food supply is low."

"Then what would you suggest?" Sidon asked. "You say I should treat this matter with utmost importance but refuse to give me room to find a solution. You may criticize my optimism, but at this moment, it's truly all I have to offer."

"There is more to leadership than just barging your way through problems," Muzu sighed. "I swear, that knight's brashness is rubbing off on you."

"I'd like to believe it's always been there," Sidon claimed. "That knight simply matches it perfectly, if not even more so. It's honorable."

"Regardless," Muzu said, ignoring his student's words. "We need you here, Prince Sidon. You'll have to find a solution for us Zora without heading off to fight a Hinox, and a black one at that. While the Calamity may have been sealed, the monsters continue to persist. It's far too dangerous for you to go alone."

"I understand your concern, but I can handle a Hinox on my own," Sidon pleaded. "Winter has already lowered the number of fish in the waters, and that beast is eating far more of his share. It was bad enough when it was blue, but with it now being black, it's making fishing even harder than before."