Chapter 34: Old Habits

The darkness that consumed him now than when he had fallen asleep was different. It was strange, even darker than that of any shrine trial he had completed in the past. He looked around, trying in a useless attempt to gather his surroundings as best he could, yet it wasn't until a light appeared above him. It was a faint purple aura, unable to illuminate any of the darkness except for his own features. It felt warm and caring, as if it had a life of its own.

It grew brighter— almost blinding him— but nothing else happened. This confused him. Everything felt so familiar, yet something was off. It was like there was supposed to be more; he was supposed to listen to something, or maybe someone. Despite this feeling, there was nothing but the light above, familiar and safe, yet eerie and filled with purpose. It wasn't the only thing signaling this. A feeling, one in his chest, told him that there was something more. It was something he had to do.

He didn't have time to think about this purpose. After a few moments of basking in the light, the supposed invisible force that kept him on his feet disappeared. He felt himself beginning to fall, downwards into the darkness he went. The light began to grow smaller as he began to fall faster. He squinted as hard as he could, trying to keep sight on the light until he simply could see it no longer. He then looked down, expecting to see more of the dark void. Instead he saw a girl, falling in front of him.

Suddenly the world seemed to flip, and now he was falling after her, reaching out his hand, trying desperately to pull her towards him, though she remained just out of reach. He stretched out as far as he could, his fingertips so close to hers they almost brushed, and yet something appeared behind her. A monster, one that gave off a sinister power. It opened its large jaws, waiting for the girl to fall into its throat. His heart pounded against his ribcage. He needed her back. He needed to catch her– to save her. She was right there, just out of reach. It was his mission, and if he couldn't catch her now— if he couldn't save her— then everything afterward would be his fault and his alone.

But he knew he couldn't do it. No matter how hard he knew he would try, he couldn't change the outcome. He saved her, but caused everything after. It was all on him. He glanced down at the girl with his hands outstretched, but just as before, the beast spread its mouth out even wider as the girl fell inside its being, and with a snap of its jaws, she was gone.

Just as fast as the beast closed its jaws, Link's eyes shot open. In a panic, he quickly attempted to sit up, but was immediately held back. He looked down at his chest to Zelda, still clinging to the collar of the tunic he had fallen asleep in. She didn't seem bothered by his sudden movement, and in fact, she seemed as though to have somehow helped her get even more comfortable than she already was.

After taking a moment to stare into her beautiful sleeping face, he relaxed his body as best he could. He replaced his arm back over her, pushing her body closer into his chest in an attempt to calm himself. He began to take deep breaths, trying to ignore the heavy pounding of his heart in order to process the dream he had woken up from. The terror felt so familiar, and yet it was so different from the ones he was used to having.

One thought immediately came to mind, one had been sitting in the back of his mind for months now as he tried to focus on the threat he knew was currently around him. As best he could, he glanced over at the writing desk, where the Sheikah Slate sat quietly, waiting for whenever it needed to be used again. Even though it sat deep in the slate's contents, he could still feel it. The whisper in the back of his mind, always reminding him, regardless if he understood completely what it meant.

Once his breathing was under control and taking some time to enjoy the softness of the woman in his arms, again he attempted to sit up. Zelda, however, refused to release her fingers. Even in sleep, her grip remained tight, refusing to let him leave her side. Eventually, the only way for him to gain freedom from her grasp was to slide out from his tunic, leaving his torso bare to the frigid air. He pushed himself into a sitting position, watching as Zelda began to hug the tunic tightly to her face, before reaching over and pulling open the nightstand drawer. He pulled out another tunic and threw it on. With that, he stood from the bed and headed to the dining room, only pausing to glance at the slate on his way to the staircase.