Chapter 29: The Altercation

A few days had passed since Zelda fell ill with a cold. During her absence, the inn remained fairly in check as Prima resumed her duties as usual. Though Celessa and Teli kept her busy and entertained, working alone for even this slightly extended period felt a bit strange to the clerk now. She had gotten so used to teasing and prodding her employee for relationship information that everything now felt a little dull. It wasn't until early one morning as she was preparing the front counter for the day did this cross her mind.

"I wonder when she'll be back..." she hummed to herself as she finished writing in her check-in book. As if the Goddess herself was listening to her thoughts, the front doors to the inn suddenly opened. "Welcome to the Ton Pu Inn, where– Well, look who it is!"

"Good morning, Prima," Zelda said as she closed the door behind her. "Sorry I've been gone for the last few days. I didn't think I'd be sick for so long."

"Rather have you sick at home than here at the inn," Prima replied as she watched her employee make her way to the front desk. "How are you feeling now, though? Are you sure you don't need a bit more time?"

"I'm a bit stuffy still, but I'll manage," Zelda said with a smile. "I'm sure it's tiring doing all the work yourself."

"I would have been fine, but if you're sure," Prima said.

"I'll be fine, I promise," Zelda insisted. "I'm determined to have a good day today. It gets so boring just lazing around in bed feeling poor."

"Well, I'm glad that's what you want, but—"

"Is that the princess's voice I hear?" a voice suddenly called out, cutting Prima off. The two looked over at the dining hall doors, where Celessa was peaking her head out with a large grin at the sight of her idol. "It is!"

"Good morning, Celessa," Zelda giggled as she watched the familiar traveler hurry into the room. When she stopped in front of her, Zelda gave a small bow. "Thank you for looking after me the day I got sick. You really made things easier on Link and I."

"Of course!" Celessa said, giving her a light hug. "I would've come again, but I figured you'd want a little peace. Also... I can't help but feel like Link is the intimidating type if someone tried to bother you while down."

"I've learned that he has... many different sides to him. I would like to believe you would have been fine though," Zelda said awkwardly. "But, I appreciate the thought. It's good to see you, and as I've told Prima, I expect to have a wonderful first day back."

"And as I started to say a moment ago, I wish you the best of luck with that," Prima said. Confused, Zelda looked at her.

"What makes you say that?" she asked.

Without a word, Prima simply walked from behind the counter and waved for her to follow. Obeying her command, along with Celessa who was purely interested, the three walked over to the dining hall doorway, where they peeked their heads through. Zelda groaned once her eyes landed on what her boss was trying to show her.

"Why are they here?" she whispered. "It isn't the weekend."

"Nowadays, they find it more relaxing to drink here in the mornings alone, when there isn't a chance for them to get pulled into the party," Prima explained quietly. "You can thank your lover for that one."

"I've heard of those two. They're the gossipers, right?" Celessa asked. Both Zelda and Prima nodded.

"They are, and I'm their usual topic of discussion these days," Zelda sighed. "I'm surprised you haven't heard them mention my name at all."

"Oh, they speak fairly quietly now," Prima informed her. "In fact, they've been coming more often ever since you've been sick. I'm sure that was intentional."