Chapter 75: The Feathered Bard

The ear-piercing screech of the Divine Beast echoed through the mountains of Hebra, the vibrations powerful enough to cause the snow to fall from the needles of the nearby evergreens. The continual shriek was difficult enough for the inhabitants of the mountains to bear, yet for the lone Rito within the chasm, it served as a reminder: the residents of his village had a much harder time than he, for the raucous beast was flying above their heads at this very moment. He had already taken the winged beast on once, but it only resulted in the injury of his partner. Now, it was up to him—one of the last Rito warriors.

Sitting on the deck of the range constructed for the Rito Champion of a century past with the ceaseless updrafts from the chasm blowing through his feathers, the warrior tuned his bow in preparation for his rematch against the Divine Beast, ready to give his all. He had been so focused that he barely heard the steps of someone walking behind him.

"Are you Teba?" a soft but confident voice suddenly spoke.

"Yeah...?" the Rito replied.

For the first time since he started his tuning, he looked up from his bow and glanced back at the one who stepped into his view. He was a simple Hylian, much shorter and skinnier than average, wearing one of the Rito-made Snowquill tunics Teba's village specialized in making for their rare tourists. This detail alone told the warrior all he needed to know—this Hylian was sent to try and stop him. Frowning, he turned back to his bow.

"I don't know you, and I'm pretty busy here," he said coldly, plucking his bowstring to test its tension. "You should probably go."

"I'm sorry to say it, but I can't do that," the Hylian said, stepping out onto the balcony from the snow-covered hut he had come through. At this, Teba huffed.

"Saki sent you, didn't she?" he asked gruffly.

"Both she and your elder," the Hylian replied. "I hear you're planning to take on the Divine Beast Vah Medoh yourself."

"I see. Well, I'm sorry to say, but you've wasted your time," the Rito warrior answered. "Someone has to stop Medoh before it destroys my village. As a warrior of the Rito, it's my responsibility. Champion Revali would've done the same. Now, if you'll excuse me, I suggest you leave–!"

"I never said I came to stop you," the Hylian cut in. "I came to help you."

"Help me?" Teba repeated. "With what exactly?"

"Vah Medoh...?" the Hylian answered, sounding a bit confused about what the misunderstanding was.

The Rito warrior stared at him for a moment before narrowing his sharp, yellow eyes.

"Let me get this straight," he demanded, lowering his bow into his lap. "Some random Hylian wants to help me bring down Divine Beast Vah Medoh, the beast with immeasurable power once piloted by the Great Champion Revali...just because? Yeah, I'm not buying it."

"Well, when you put it that way..." the Hylian began. At this, the Rito scoffed and turned back to his bow before the Hylian spoke again. "It's amazing you plan to fight something so powerful and come back alive. That's what I'm not buying."

At this, Teba paused before lowering his bow again.

"What's your name, stranger?" he asked.

"Link," the Hylian replied.

"Well, Link, I'm Teba, but you already know that," the Rito said. "Be straight with me. The elder and my wife. They asked you to talk some sense into me. Am I right?"