Chapter 59: The Absence of Anxiety

Practically dragging the princess around, the two went off through the village, waving at the Sheikah that took note of them, whether old or young. Eventually, after seeing all they could on the pathways themselves, Celessa ended up taking Zelda off them and through the houses. As they stepped through the natural grassy paths, Celessa looked over at the princess, who actually seemed a bit lost as her eyes started to inspect the buildings and decorations they were walking past.

"Pretty cool village, isn't it?" she asked cheerfully. "For a village in the mountains like Hateno, it feels a lot different."

"It is beautiful," Zelda said, still looking around at the scenery. "I've always admired the architecture of Kakariko. It's so unique. Even with the snowfall, you can still see some greenery. It's truly amazing... Can you believe Mellie's plum trees are still alive, even during a winter such as this? Her soil must be incredibly rich."

"Mellie loves her plums. She thinks her life is bound with theirs," Celessa giggled as they walked back around and toward the main pathway. "Looks like we made it back to the general store and inn. Did you know the clerk at the general store used to be married to Cado?"

"The man who guards Impa's house with Dorian?" Zelda asked as they walked past the buildings and back toward the large staircase. "I believe I heard Impa say something about him having enough free time to travel with her one day. I guess that would explain why... What made them separate?"

"From what I've heard, an obsession with cucco's," Celessa said. Noticing Zelda's confused glance, she added, "that's just what I've heard... and occasionally seen."

"Interesting... Well, on that note, I believe it's time we head out," Zelda said, deciding best to move on from the strange topic. "I'm still unsure of how to convince Paya, but we must get a move on."

"It's amazing how you can jump straight back into your work. It's almost like you were just waiting for the fun to stop," Celessa pouted.

"What else is there to do? We already went to the shops and bought everything we need," Zelda said sternly. "Kakarkio is still a small town. It doesn't take long to see all it has to offer."

"I mean... Yeah," Celessa admitted with a disappointed sigh. "If you're satisfied, then I guess all we can do is get a move on. I still think you could loosen up a bit more though..."

"I'll loosen up at the festival when the time comes," Zelda stated. The two walked in silence for a moment before she noticed the mischievous grin and glare Celessa was giving her. "Celessa!"

"You're the one who said it," the pilgrim joyfully teased.

"Yes, but you know full well that is not what I—"

"Stop right there!" a voice suddenly shouted at them.

The two women stopped in surprise, only a few steps short of their destination. Both of them looked over to see a shorter man holding a hand out, a signal for them to stop. He was an interesting fellow older looking due to the wrinkles starting to appear in his facial features. He was dressed in traditional Sheikah apparel, but they looked worn, with patches on the pants of his knees along with his top missing a sleeve, something that revealed an artistic mark on his arm. Even his straw hat looked old as it was starting to come apart at its ends. His hair was as white as the many Sheikah in the village, though interestingly it had been tied up into a curiously sharp bun, one that matched the paintbrush he had in his free hand.

"For just a few minutes, please... Don't step any closer," the man requested.

He wasn't even looking at them. Though his tattooed arm was outstretched toward the woman, his other arm was raised in front of him, supposedly holding the paintbrush up to the elevated home of Kakariko's elder. With one eye closed, he looked up at the house, using the paintbrush's tip to align his vision.