Chapter 45: Being Better

The snow continued to float down from the dark clouds above, and standing in the light flurry of flakes was Manny. He was in the middle of the road, looking at every shop and house in his view, all of which had their lights out and doors closed. The village felt empty, more so than it had even during the storm that occurred a few days prior, even though he knew there was a visitor that didn't belong. Soon, his eyes fell on nothing, choosing to simply look at the road he saw the Ton Pu Inn's clerk disappear down.

"Manny," a deep voice suddenly called out to him. He turned to see the mayor trudging through the snow toward him, with a few flakes stuck in his hair and beard. "Glad to see you're still safe. Have you checked everyone's residence on this side of town?"

"Y-yeah... Everyone's home and the shops are closed," Manny said, bringing a hand up to brush snow out of his hair. "They took it easier than I thought they would. I guess telling them the storm was going to get worse again was a good idea."

"You know our town, son. They usually understand, though I feel bad having to give them a false reasoning," Reede said before looking up at the sky. "But, looking at this snowfall, it may not be false for long."

"Yeah..." Manny repeated, having returned to looking down the road. Reede glanced at him before doing the same.

"Have none of them returned?" he asked.

"N-no..." Manny answered. "Y-you don't think-?"

"I refuse to believe that if I haven't seen it," Reede answered before the question was properly asked. "Thank you for all your help, Manny. You best head home, just in case my hopefulness is misplaced."

With that, Reede began heading toward the fork in the road that led toward Link's house.

"Y-you're going?" Manny called out nervously. "But, what if the assassin is still there?"

"If he is, then that means my people need me," Reede said, stopping to look back at him. "As mayor of this town, I cannot sit idly by and simply put my faith into those fighting. It's my duty to ensure the safety of those in this village, and I will do my part, no matter how small it may end up being. Please, get home safety now."

Again, Reede turned and began dragging his feet through the snow. With his heart pounding in his chest, Manny looked between him and the direction of his house. He wanted to go home. He couldn't face an assassin; that was far out of his nonexistent skillset. It was already too much for him to stay out and help Reede out. He was only supposed to inform him, not help. It was time to go home. His part was done.

With fear very deep in his chest, he turned to head home, something he was prepared to do regardless of Reede's instructions, and yet, for whatever reason, he glanced down the opposite end of the road. Just barely in the distance, through the snow and light fog that covered the village, was the inn. It sat peacefully, unbothered by anything that was happening around it. But its caretaker- its clerk- was not there, and he knew this. Suddenly, he shook his head.

There is an assassin up there! he told himself. I can't get together with Prima if I'm dead!

He moved to take a step forward.

Regardless of if they'll ever like you back... If you really care then you would want to just see them happy, right?

He stopped in his tracks as Jules's voice from before echoed in his mind, but still, he clenched his hands and shook his head more violently than before.

No! No, this is different! he shouted internally. This is going way beyond just being helpful! I could die! Die! As in not living! I just have to hope that they'll be alright-