Chapter 40: The Manifestation of Anxiety

Link rode through the war-torn pastures, still healing from their wounds given to them a hundred years ago. The cycle vibrated beneath him as it carried his weight with ease, bumping along the snowy road as he continued on. He had long since passed through the old fort separating the fields from the mountains, now headed toward the path through the dueling peaks. Soon, he came upon the stables, where the stablemaster had leaned out from his desk and window, curious as to what the strange light heading his way was.

"What in Hyrule's name is—?" he began to ask, yet Link paid him no mind. He sped past the stable and into the chasm.

He continued through the mountain, ignoring the lizards and bokoblins that screeched at his passing. Monsters popped from out the frigid waters, firing rocks from their suction mouths to bombard the strange beast, yet it was too fast. Its wheels continued to spin, blasting snow from behind as it continued forward, leaving nothing but a few lines deep in the snow.

Blasting out the other side of the mountain, Link found himself riding through the snowy grasslands of Hyrule Field. Straightening up on the cycle, he took a frosty breath of air before looking out at the gigantic ruins in the far distance, slowly coming into view the longer he rode. His eyes hardened as he found himself staring at the highest point of the derelict castle, where he knew his challenger stood waiting for him. Allowing his resolve to boil in his chest, he turned the handle on the cycle, forcing it to go faster as he turned off the road. He hurried over hills and jumped over icy rocks before speeding through the town that once stood proudly in front of the castle, heading toward the gates across the wide stone-brick bridge.

It had been months since he had seen the castle up close. The once beautiful landmark loomed over the town remains and Hyrule Field, establishing its dominance over the land even in its decrepit state. While the dark gunge that once surrounded its borders had vanished, the pillars of ancient technology that had spewed out the spider-like beasts a century ago remained silently standing, though their pink lights had dulled. They now sat around the castle, pretending to be simple, dark-colored mountains of stone, adding to the number of high points the building owned. As the new visitor pulled up, he eyed the points as he grew closer. Even from up close, the highest tower seemed distant, as if fading into the darkened snow clouds in the sky above.

Arriving at the enormous entrance gates, Link jumped off the mechanical horse and looked around. Before a swarm of flying ancient machines guarded the entrance, shooting down any who dared step foot upon their turn, yet those had long disappeared. They had been taken care of by Link himself not even a day after his lover had been freed from the castle walls. Still, Link trod carefully as he stepped toward the gate's iron bars. He eyed everywhere he could, ready to take the curved blade from his back if need be, but nothing attacked him.

"Welcoming me with open arms, huh?" Link mumbled.

Cautiously, he stepped forward and placed his hands on each side, and with a grunt, pushed them open. He paused, waiting to see if anything would happen, yet nothing did. Skeptically, he took a few steps back and carefully grabbed his divine beast by the handlebars before guiding it through the gates. The grounds were covered in snow, only tainted by small prints made by animals that decided to make their home in small cracks and crevices in the remaining walls and rubble. Before, malice had crept up all the walls and every patch of grass, yet none of that remained now. The only evidence that evil had once tainted the castle were the remaining parts of now long-defeated guardians. After walking around, inspecting the castle's exterior, Link came to a stop next to what he knew was the library.

There's nothing more I can do out here, he thought to himself. Though he was still alert, he reached for the slate on his hip, and with a few taps, the small divine beast he had been pushing vanished in a river of blue lights. Time to head in.