Chapter 76: Ruins From a Time Before

The morning sun blazed down upon the fields of Hyrule, suffusing the land with light and bringing the shadows into stark contrast—so dark they appeared to stain the grass—among a cluster of strange rock formations, all with near-perfect circles through the center. Musical notes from a feathery bard's accordion echoed through the natural stone rings.

"Such a beautiful landscape," the bard said, admiring the rocky field as he played, "one that isn't made for me, but for–"

Suddenly, between his words and his music, the galloping of hooves could be heard in the distance growing ever louder. The bard smiled.

"–someone special."

Beginning to hum along with his accordion, the bard played until the mare and its rider appeared, crossing an old wooden bridge before stopping in the grass beside the tall rock the bard stood on. The bard watched as the rider looked around, listening to the notes before determining where they were coming from, and with incredible agility, he hopped off the mare and climbed the rocks. The bard pretended not to hear him.

"Kass?" the traveler called, to which the bard acted surprised.

"Oh, Link! I didn't hear your approach," Kass replied. Link raised an eyebrow.

"You didn't hear the horse?" he asked.

"I did not. I happened to be lost in this song written by my late teacher," Kass said, holding up the accordion between his feathery fingers.

"Another song from your teacher?" Link asked.

"Yes. In fact, this was the last song he taught me before he passed away several years ago," Kass explained. "This song, and this field, have a special place in my heart because of it."

"This field?" Link asked, looking around the field. "Don't tell me these rocks are some sort of trial..."

"Hm?" Kass hummed, having actually lost himself to his thoughts this time. "Excuse me. I fear I may have gotten a little carried away. Nostalgia will do that to a person. The song does happen to be about this place, about an ancient verse passed down in this region. Would you like to hear it?"

"Let's hear it," Link nodded, still looking around at the scattered cluster of rocks.

"Excellent! Then without further ado–!"

The bard cleared his throat before pushing and pulling on his accordion.

"When a single arrow threads two rings,

The shrine will rise like birds on wings."

"That's a pretty short song this time around," Link commented.

"It may be short, but something tells me it's meaningful," the bard replied. "Do you think the rings in the song refer to these oddly-shaped rocks? And what of the shrine?"

With a contemplative hum, the bard looked around, still playing the occasional note on his instrument.

"There's a mystery to be uncovered here, that's for sure," he continued, "and I get the feeling the truth is beyond my wildest imagination."

"It may not be too wild, if I have this right," Link replied thoughtfully. "When a single arrow threads two rings...? So... Just shoot an arrow through two rings with one shot. That shouldn't be too hard; I'm pretty handy with a bow, if I do say so myself."

"It seems you have a plan," Kass said with a smile. "May the light illuminate your path."

With a confident smile, Link jumped off the tall rock, leaving Kass to watch as he began shooting arrows through rocks, trying to see which angle he could find in order to get one shot through two holes.