Chapter 49: Making Amends

The dining hall was quiet. Those who sat at the tables hadn't said a word since Zelda and Celessa's departure. Some simply sat with their arms folded, like Link and Teli, while others worked on other tasks. Prima had chosen to take a broom in hand and sweep the floors, something she hadn't truly focused on doing herself since her new employee joined her in running the place. Then there was Manny, who had his arms folded like the others but had fallen asleep while attempting to sit stoically like them. His snoring echoed through the hall, blocking out the winter ambiance that was blowing outside. After some time, Prima's broom came to a stop as she chose to look at him.

"I can't believe he managed to get himself another free night here," she said, watching as the large Hylian's head bobbed around with each snore. "So much for having him go home today..."

"Just because he's been here for a while already doesn't mean you can't still charge him," Purah said.

It was possible to forget that she was there with how small she was. She had returned to her chair next to Link, and for once was actually sitting in it properly, deciding best to use her time to go through whatever notes she had documented in her little notebook. Without looking up from the pad in her hands, she continued.

"If he's staying here free of charge today, one could ooooonly assume it's out of kindness. You might be getting a little soft, Prima."

"Soft? I wouldn't say that," Prima huffed, but when Purah raised her eyebrow (still without looking up from her work) the clerk blew air through her nostrils. "I'm not. If anything—"

She looked back over at the bobbing head.

"—he just happened to earn something for once. He did punch an assassin today."

"Those are some preeeeetty high standards you have if that's your starting point," Purah commented, but Prima's brow furrowed.

"Trust me on this. You don't know him the way I do," she said. "If anything, you should be giving him that tone for needing something like this to finally encourage him to do something that's not for himself."

"Was he really that bad before?" Purah asked nonchalantly.

"If you had seen the handful of crickets he had tried to give me, you'd understand," Prima said, something that finally made the little girl look up from her notebook. She looked her in the eye, which the clerk could only guess was a silent request for an explanation. "Minor details aside, it's exactly as it sounds."

"Hm," Purah hummed, choosing to turn back to her notebook. Apparently, this was one of the few things she decided wasn't worth her time investigating.

"Still, it's amazing he can sleep so easily while waiting," Prima said, looking back at Manny. "With Zelda taking the lead on their little journey, anything could happen..."

"If you're surprised he's sleeping through it, just look at this one," Purah said.

Without looking up, she pointed the little pencil she usually kept on her at Link. Raising an eyebrow, Prima looked at the knight, who had been sitting quietly ever since Zelda had left. It took a moment, but eventually, it finally clicked for her.

"He's asleep too," she mumbled, to which Purah nodded.

Though his body hadn't moved, with his arms still folded and his head sitting up, Link's eyes were closed and his breathing had become deep and rhythmic. Upon hearing Prima's words, Teli looked over in surprise.

"I hadn't even noticed," he said, now inspecting the sleeping knight. "That's incredible. He just blended in!"

"He had to sleep while on the road most of the time," Purah said. "Sleeping like this made it to where a malicious creature wouldn't notice him had it happened to walk by."