Chapter 42: Tainting the Snow with Red

It hurt. The pain in his shoulders and back, the constant loss of blood, and the pounding in his head. He felt absolutely horrible, and yet, none of these injuries could compare to the agony in his heart. He failed, and not only that, but it was from his own doings. The Yiga had been playing him this entire time, messing with his mind, and he, himself, was the one that allowed it to happen. He had told the assassin that he was going to start playing the game, but didn't consider the masked man had been playing far longer than he was. The assassin had been planning, prepping, and waiting. All Link had done was destroy himself, ignoring the warnings his lover had given him, and had fallen right into his enemy's trap.

He sat on his knees, staring at the monstrosity filling the tower he was stuck in. Fiery red malice continued to rise from out the hole in the sanctuary's floor, latching on to anything it touched. It spread across the pointed ceiling and began taking over the floors. The floor and walls shook, knocking around dust and rubble as the evil made itself known. Watching as the malice took over the area, Link couldn't help but believe that he was once again in a hopeless situation. Despite this, he gritted his bloody teeth.

Move, he told himself. He placed his palms on the blood-stained carpet. Move, Link. Move!

He tried to push himself up. He had to go. He had to leave the castle. The Yiga was already heading for Hateno, he was sure of it. He couldn't allow that to happen; he wouldn't allow it. Nothing would happen to Zelda, especially because of his own foolishness. Through the pain, he managed to push himself to his feet.

Okay... Now just- he began, but with another shudder from the tower, he collapsed to the floor.

Lifting his face from the carpet, he looked back to see the malice covering more of the floor. It was getting closer, slowly expanding, engulfing everything it touched. With heavy breaths, he began to pull himself away, crawling across the floor toward the wall. Again, the castle gave another violent shake. Pieces of stained glass fell from their panes, some of which landed on him as he scooted closer to the wall. After what felt like an eternity of clawing across the carpet, he finally reached the stone brick wall. With an excruciatingly painful push, he managed to get himself up into a sitting position before collapsing his shoulder against the stone.

In agony, he brought his hand up to his chest. The pounding of his own heart hurt as it tried to pump blood throughout his broken body. Trying to control his breathing, he looked around the sanctuary again, watching as the malice continued to spread its infection. It looked as though it felt threatened, moving and searching as if it were on the hunt, looking for something that wasn't supposed to be there.

Link's eyes soon found the Sheikah Slate, still laying on the ground a little ways away. He tried to get his body to move, but it simply didn't have the strength. He continued his internal struggle, trying to move. Every time the castle shook, his body seared in pain, but he ignored it. He kept fighting until finally, he rested his cheek on his shoulder in exhaustion.

This isn't good... he thought as the malice continued to grow. I need to find a way out... I need to... I need to... get... back...

 back