𝐓𝐖𝐎 || 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐌𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆

DID I JUST GIVE NICOTINE TO A CHILD?

── ⋆⋅☂︎⋅⋆ ──

    EVERY ONE OF RIN'S FOOTSTEPS SEEMED to echo like gunshots through the house as she approached who she expected to be Vanya in the foyer. She heard her sister's timid voice and her chest started to tighten. But another woman's voice answered Vanya and Rin's small feet scurried down the staircase.

"Diego, now really isn't the-"

Two pairs of eyes fell onto Rin, confusion washing over their faces before simultaneously morphing into disbelief. The first pair belonged to Allison, the Academy's Number Three. She towered over Vanya, especially in the black heels she wore, clad in a sapphire blue blouse and black dress pants. Her hair had been bleached a pretty ashy blonde, slightly outgrown with her brown roots showing, though it was flattering, her coiled curls framing her beautiful face.

The second pair belonged to Vanya, Number Eight. She was still the shortest, probably still shorter than Rin, and her face looked hollowed and pale. She wore tight black pants, pronouncing how thin her legs had gotten, and a black shirt hidden by her similarly colored leather jacket. Her black hair was pulled into a looped bun near the nape of her neck.

"Rin?"

The girl wasn't sure how long she had spent staring at her two siblings before being torn out of her trance. Again, she was frozen at the top of the stairs, forced into an oddly comforting staring contest with the two.

Vanya was the first to move, meeting Rin halfway at the bottom of the staircase to pull her into a tight hug. Allison stood behind her, jaw still slack out of pure shock.

"I... I can't believe it, it's really you?" Vanya wanted it to sound more official but she couldn't help but question whether the small girl in reciprocating her embrace was truly her sister. It was simply unfathomable.

The same girl who looked exactly the same as she did in 2003 when Vanya begged her not to venture off by herself to find Number Five. He'd already been missing for just under a year, having gotten lost in time because of his own powers and the last thing she wanted was for her sister to meet the same fate. But she was persistent to find him. Vanya lost two siblings that day.

"It's me." Rin smiled at Allison from over Vanya's shoulder. "I'm home."

"Where did you go? You were gone for fourteen years, Rin, and now you just show up the same day they announce that Dad..." Allison could only shake her head, waiting for a viable reply as she separated herself from a brief hug with her now-little sister.

Rin's eyes met the black and white tiled floor, uncomfortably clearing her throat. She nervously fiddled with the belt loops on her denim shorts. Her memories came rushing back all too quickly, all at once. No coherent sentence could be formed.

"Hey," Allison caught her arm before she could strain her small self any further, "I'm sorry. You don't have to tell us right away, okay? I'm just glad to have you back, Rin."

"It's good to be back." Rin rocked on her feet, wondering if it would be the right time to mention Diego's mini tantrum he was throwing on his way to Reginald's room. Screw it, right? "Hey, Vanya, why was Diego so... upset a little bit ago? He said something about you and he did not sound too happy."