𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 || 𝐓𝐀𝐆𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆

I'M MOIST!

── ⋆⋅☂︎⋅⋆ ──

    RIN WAS IN NO PARTICULAR RUSH to change her bandages after eating a light breakfast of eggs and orange juice with Vanya. The adrenaline had since diminished from the night before and she could feel the pain all throughout her body. It was like her nerve endings had met a flamethrower.

Thankfully, she'd found a bottle of over-the-counter painkillers in Vanya's medicine cabinet while looking for fresh gauze. Five had treated it well, as far as she could tell when she nervously unwound the brown crusted cloth. It wasn't a much prettier sight than it was last night but it wasn't like she could really complain. She'd risked her life to save Five's and she had not a single ounce of regret in her sore body.

She held her breath, nearly biting a chunk out of her fist as she poured a cap full of hydrogen peroxide over the gash. The last thing she'd want before being wiped out by an apocalypse was an infection. Some more ointment onto her arm and she rewrapped it securely with a clean bandage.

"You okay in there?" Vanya asked from the other side of the door, her voice echoing off of it. She knocked twice when there was no immediate reply. Maybe her sister had passed out from seeing her own wound, or from cleaning it.

"I'm all good." Rin called out, her voice strained. It took a moment for the throbbing to stop but once it did, she was able to catch her breath.

Her sister sighed. "Good. I'll get you a coat."

They had to leave soon. Vanya had early violin lessons, which were quickly approaching the longer Rin locked herself up in the bathroom, and she wanted to make sure Five was okay to ease her mind. Rin had assumed that he'd gone back home. It wasn't the most rational thought considering she had followed him to a donut place only for him to get shot at. He was a busy man, it seemed.

She stepped out into the living room, Vanya thrusting a black jacket into her arms. "I forgot I had it, it's a little small for me but it might fit you well." She explained, watching her carefully pull the sleeve over the sickly beige bandages adorning her bicep. Rin looked relieved to have it out of sight.

"Let's go."

☂︎

    RIN STEPPED INTO THE HOUSE'S FOYER first, embraced by an eerie silence. She wondered if anyone was home. If they were, they were awfully quiet. She didn't dare complain, of course. Instead, she ventured towards the grand staircase.

"Five?" Vanya timidly called out, glancing around the second floor. It was deserted.

She followed after her little sister, who jogged towards the stairs to their bedrooms. Towards Five's bedroom. "You'd better be in here or I'm calling in a missing person's repo-" she paused mid-sentence as she pushed the half-open door the rest of the way.

Five stood at his bedroom window, staring down at the street below when he heard someone enter. He recognized Rin's voice in an instant. The slight turn of his head told her that he knew she was there but he didn't say anything just yet. Vanya appeared behind her, softly expressing her relief.