𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗 || 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐇𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐂

AH, ASPIRING LEADERSHIP.

☂︎

The car screeched to a stop in front of the place Rin could only assume was Harold Jenkins' house. It was in the middle of, well, nowhere. The neighborhood was suburban and quiet, cozily decorated two-story homes lining both sides of the street. His was no exception.

"Be careful, okay?" Allison warned as the group started towards the small patio. "We don't know what Peabody's capable of."

The thought drew Rin's gaze to the driveway. No car. He likely wasn't home.

"He didn't seem dangerous when I first saw him." Diego shrugged her off, striding through the freshly mowed front lawn. "Looked kinda scrawny."

He wasn't wrong. When he showed up behind Vanya in their living room like a kicked puppy, there was nothing particularly alarming about him - not even his generic face. Nothing that would have triggered a bad feeling to erupt in the depths of Rin's stomach. Maybe except for the fact that Vanya could have done plenty better, but even in Rin's earlier drowsy state, she'd never tell her sister that out loud.

"Well, so are most serial killers and mass murderers." Rin defended Allison's reasoning. She jutted her chin towards Five. "I mean, look at him."

"Thanks." The boy's voice dripped with sarcasm.

"Good point." Diego shrugged. "So what's this guy want with Vanya?" He treaded up the stairs, Five and Rin following close behind. Allison had slipped away undetected towards the empty driveway and snuck around, presumably to the back of the house.

"Don't know. How 'bout we ask him after we kill him?" jested Five. Diego swung an arm out in front of the two to keep them behind him, eyeing the front door with vigilance.

"Whoa, whoa. Okay, I'm gonna burst through the-'' The man spun around, expecting to see three Hargreeves' behind him. His face flashed with concern when Allison was nowhere to be found and it didn't take long for the others to catch on that she had left the scene. He rolled his eyes. "You know what? It would be nice for people to just stick to-" Diego was once again cut short when Five vanished into thin air with a small whoosh. "-the plan."

Rin clicked her tongue and rocked on her feet, awkwardly avoiding eye contact with her brother. She held back a laugh, lips tightly sealed. "What's the plan now, leader?" The girl entertained herself, unaware of the ready position Diego had taken. By the time she turned around, it was too late. "What the-"

Crash.

Diego had thrown himself through the door's glass window, taking the tiny curtain and several window panes along with him to the ground. The floorboards creaked with the impact of a full grown man failing to jump a hurdle. A pained groan followed.

Rin peered into the Diego-sized hole, gawking at her fallen brother. Five and Allison stepped around his hardly moving body, staring smugly down at him. Five grabbed the doorknob and swung what remained of the door open, allowing Rin to enter like a normal person.

"Real subtle, D." She cracked, feigning amazement at her leader of a brother through stomach-wrenching giggles.

"You know, the door was unlocked." Five teased as the man began to climb to his feet singlehandedly.