𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 || 𝐁𝐀𝐃 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒

WAS MY WIFE FAIR GAME, TOO?

☂︎

Dirt clouded around her car like an ugly fog as she slammed on the brakes, fear rattling her entire body when she spotted the black car she had seen at the bakery. It was parked dangerously close to Violet's garden, a small wooden planter overfilling with brightly colored flowers. Roses, lilies, violets.

Tears blurred her vision and she wildly swung her car door open. She tripped over her feet racing to the porch steps. The front door had already been forced open. She could tell by the dark scuff marks of a shoe on the white paint.

"Please, please, please..." Her blood pulsed in her ears like drums booming. The image of Violet was burned behind her eyelids with each blink. She was smiling. Her brown hair fell in bouncy curls around her face, cascading down her shoulders like a waterfall. Her eyes were like the purest turquoise she'd ever seen.

She held the door frame for balance as her legs threatened to give out. All of the air was stolen from her lungs when she saw it.

Red. It painted everything.

And her wife was underneath it. It covered her honey skin and lavender dress, colored the whites of her lifeless eyes a meaty pink. It pooled around her body like a spill, staining Muffin's speckled fur. The dead cat was cradled in Violet's limp arms, molded perfectly against her chest.

Bile rose in Rin's throat and threatened to pour over had it not been for the men who were still in her living room. Two men dressed in crisp navy blue suits stood tall over the bodies, their guns in their hands, one of them smoking from the shots. She stared at the weapons, trying to clear her mind.

Her left hand was suddenly weighed down and cold. Her fingers wrapped around the gun's handle, trigger finger ready. It was a mimic of the men's guns, the power she had that she repressed for twenty years had activated on its own. Her body was working automatically as she raised it to their heads and fired.

Bang. Bang.

The bullets cut clean through the back of their heads, splattering blood onto the wall in front of them. She never got to see the fear in their eyes before they died. Their bodies fell to the ground next to her wife's and she finally let out the breath she had been holding. Rin fell to her knees, frozen with shock. The gun slid out of her grasp.

"Rin!" A voice echoed in her head. She scrambled backwards, expecting someone else to come out around the hallway corner. Someone else. "Rin!" Her shoulder shook by some invisible force and she screamed. She called out for Violet.

"Rin!" Five shouted, violently jerking the girl's shoulder in hopes that she would wake up. She'd been clinging to him since he woke up and just a few minutes ago did she begin whimpering. A tear rolled down her temple and she trembled. Five panicked.

"Violet." She had whined under her breath. Luther pressed a gloved hand to his mouth when he realized. "She's having a nightmare."

Rin's arms tightened around Five's arm. He shook her again, this time harder. "Rin!" The thought of slapping her momentarily crossed his mind but her eyes suddenly flew open and she scrambled back against the brick wall. Frenzied, she scanned Five and Luther's faces, her gasps slowly steadying into deep breaths.