𝐒𝐈𝐗 || 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐋-𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐅𝐄𝐑

DO NONE OF YOU SPEAK ENGLISH IN THIS HOUSE?

── ⋆⋅☂︎⋅⋆ ──

    RIN DIDN'T COME DOWN FROM HER room until an hour later. She looked better than she did after she was dragged back inside by Klaus, hair dripping and knees covered in mud. She descended the staircase, catching sight of Vanya standing alone in the foyer.

"Hey, Van." Rin called out to her. Her sister turned around, smiling when she saw her sister. She held an orange pill bottle in her hand, the other holding a pill between her fingers. Rin would have questioned it but decided against it. "What are you doing?"

Vanya sighed, taking a quick look around the grand room. "Diego was right. I shouldn't have come." The younger girl could see the cloud of hurt in her sister's eyes through her weak smile.

"Yeah well, Diego's an asshole." Rin said playfully, drawing a small chuckle from Vanya. "This is your home too, Van. You have every right to be here, okay?"

"You sound... oddly mature." Vanya raised her eyebrows at her little sister, the latter grinning sheepishly in return.

"I am 40 years old, I guess it makes sense."

"Right." Vanya sighed. "I still don't know how that works, but... thank you, Rin."

The sound of a horn honking outside made the two turn towards the door.

"I presume that's for you, Miss Vanya?" Pogo hobbled into the room, his cane tapping rhythmically against the tile floor. Vanya stuffed the rattling bottle back into her coat pocket.

"Don't waste your time." She said softly. "I'm already heading out. I'll see you, Pogo. Bye, Rin." The girl gave a quick wave before backing away towards the staircase downstairs.

"See ya, Van. Love you." And she left without another pause, hoping that Pogo could find the words to make her stay for just a little longer.

Vanya was never considered a part of the family, being ridiculed by nearly everybody for her spot as Number Eight. She was the runt of the litter, as Reginald had put it once. She had no powers like the rest of the kids so she was never placed into the limelight or given even an ounce of recognition from their father. She strived for a sense of belonging in the family and Rin knew that more than anyone else.

Vanya was her best friend when they were younger. Along with Five, Vanya found Rin's bedroom her second safe haven. She would spend hours at a time with her sister, getting lost in both deep and meaningless conversations. Neither of them minded - in fact, Rin would choose a day with her sister over a mission with her other siblings.

Rin was Vanya's closest confidant, she was able to find even a sliver of normalcy with her and Rin knew more than anyone else that her disappearance destroyed her the most. She prayed over those twenty-four years of not being with her family that Vanya would be alright.

She couldn't shake the feeling that she'd let her sister down somehow.

But that would be for later. Rin walked into the dining area, quickly catching sight of Five ransacking the pantry. His forehead was creased with stone cold concentration. She looked to Klaus who sat at the end of the table, the man only shrugging and continuing his rather sensual cuddling with the guitar in his lap.