𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 || 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇'𝐒 𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑

ASK ME AGAIN, AND I'LL BURN YOU WITH THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER.

☂︎

The last place Rin expected to stumble upon Luther was in a run-down, practically deserted corner pub that reeked of musky cologne and beer. The man had never been a drinker, to her knowledge, and always played by the rules. His solid resolve seemed to dissipate alongside the clueless light in his eyes where he sat all alone in the smack center of the place, nursing a ceramic mug.

Rin trailed behind the group of boys, trying to push down the uneasy lump in her throat as every expired eye turned her way. Klaus led them, pointing eagerly at the overgrown monkey-man. "Trying the little hair of the dog, are we?" Klaus sang teasingly as they circled around his little table.

Luther heaved, eyes darting stubbornly to the worn tabletop. "Leave me alone." He grumped.

Diego pulled the seat next to him out, plopping himself down as he tore his leather gloves off. "Give us a minute." The man motioned to himself and Luther, ultimately shooing the group away. Rin rocked on her feet, grabbing Klaus' arm while they distanced themselves from the table.

"Come on." He backed away, waving for Five to follow. "Maybe they'll brood each other to death." Klaus tantalized the two loudly over his shoulder.

They loitered on an empty table not too far away, collectively eavesdropping on their conversation. Rin sunk into one of the chairs, straddling the back of it and resting her chin on her arms. Five hissed under his breath beside her and she turned, noticing how he had shifted his weight to his left side. His right foot hovered over the ground and he leaned against the table for support.

"You okay?" She mumbled, her tone stern but careful. He hardly regarded her in return, only offering a curt nod as he focused on whatever his brothers were talking about. The girl scoffed at his hardheadedness, slumping in her seat.

She caught Diego's panicked glance towards them just as she turned back. Her hopes at getting Luther to come with them began to disappear. Her buzzed brother's miserable expression had yet to change, let alone shift even an inch as Diego spoke.

Klaus nudged the girl's shoulder, tapping his thin wrist where a watch should have been. She nodded understandingly. "C'mon, D." Rin encouraged quietly, clicking the heel of her boot on the ground impatiently.

Their conversation continued on in a hushed buzz. They were too quiet to make out anything they were saying, but they could tell by the way Diego began sliding his gloves back on that he was wrapping it up. Though, as he did, Luther's face twisted into one of wary interest. There was a quick back and forth.

Then Luther scrambled out of his seat and tried not to trip over his feet as he weaved through the tables towards the door. He grabbed the handle with such force, it tore right off of its hinges. Literally. Luther paid no mind, pushing it out of the way and darting towards the car.

☂︎

The car was deafeningly silent. The only noises that could be heard were the stones underneath the tires pelting the bottom of the car as Five drove on. Klaus sat next to him, nervously chewing his lip. His eyes were glued to the road ahead, arm hugging his knee closer to his chest. Rin was smashed between Diego and Luther in the backseat, though she was cradled into Diego's side, his thumb trying to rub relaxing circles into her left arm. The tension made it hard to breathe, even with the windows cranked halfway down.