𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 || 𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐔𝐏

I DIDN'T KNOW DIEGO BECAME A KNOCK-OFF BATMAN.

── ⋆⋅☂︎⋅⋆ ──

    RIN'S FEET WERE GLUED TO THE floor. Her gaze shot to Five's shoes and her face was masked with apprehension. She cleared her throat, lips parting but saying nothing.

"Are you coming?" Five asked rather impatiently, motioning with his hand to the open window he was halfway through. He'd expected her to jump up at the offer and push him out of the way to be the first one out, so her reaction came as a shock to say the least. He tried to read her expression.

Rin shifted her weight on either foot. "Something happened," she started, voice solemnly soft, "with Luther and Allison last night and I can't leave them yet."

"Oh, did they finally-" The ongoing joke about the two and their 'secret' relationship that had been going on since they were little would have been funny if Grace's plastic grin wasn't printed on the back of her eyelids.

"It's about Mom." She cut him off, rubbing at her temples. "Just go without me, alright? When you come back-" she shot him a warning glare that told him he indeed would be coming back, "-I'll explain everything. Hopefully I'll have an answer by then."

Five watched her walk towards him during her small ramble, wondering what she was going to do. He didn't expect her to throw her arms around him and lock him in a tight hug. He blinked, unsure of what to do. So he stayed still, letting her hug him as tightly as she pleased.

It felt like ages until she pulled away, but when she did, she turned right around and marched towards the open door. "Come back or I'll kill you, Five." She tossed it over her shoulder, barely sparing him a tilt of her head before she was gone around the corner.

When she made her way downstairs, she heard low voices coming from the living room. Allison and Luther, their banter slowly growing louder and cleared the closer Rin got to them. They ceased for just a second when they noticed her, but relaxed when they realized it wasn't their mother. "You okay?" Allison asked, eyeing her sister's face carefully.

"I'm fine. Just had a little stomach rush and needed air." She shrugged, itching to change the topic as she dropped herself onto the couch that Allison leaned on. "So, have you figured anything out about Mom?"

"We've figured out that she's hiding something." Luther said, barely loud enough for them to hear.

"Hiding?" Allison retorted, arms crossing over her chest. "To me, she sounded confused."

"You saw the tape." Rin's eyes darted back over to Luther. "Grace knew what she was doing."

"Grace?" Rin wanted to laugh. "This morning she was 'Mom.'" Allison shared a similar amusement over Luther's uptightness. While it was perfectly reasonable for him to want to be cautious around their artificial mother, it was too strange to really consider she had killed their father.

"She's a machine, Rin."

"She read to us and cleaned up after us and put us to bed." Allison came to the droid's defense. "And then we left her in this house - all alone - for thirteen years. No wonder she lost her mind. She was away from her kids." There was a thick tension between the siblings, though Rin wasn't sure why it was there. Something about Allison's expression told her she may have empathized with what she said.