𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 || 𝐂𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐃 & 𝐀𝐅𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐃

THE ONE WHO CRIED WHEN WE STEPPED ON ANTS AS KIDS

☂︎

Rin raced down the staircase to her siblings' bedrooms, panting furiously. Diego's room was empty, as was Klaus'. She wanted to check Luther's but she feared another wave taking her by surprise if she ventured down the hallway.

"D? Klaus?" The girl called into the empty house. As far as she knew, they were still at the Academy. Weren't they? One part of her hoped they were smart and rushed to safety, but the other part wanted to slap them for not scavenging for her. Her heavy footsteps echoed throughout the hall as she raced towards the foyer. "D? Klaus? Luther?" Her heartbeat began to pick up when there was no immediate response and she feared the worst.

"In here!" Diego's voice shattered the tension in her body and she raced towards the center of the house. She nearly threw herself down the staircase that led to the foyer when she saw her three brothers in the middle of the room. "Christ, Rin. You okay?" Diego asked when he was tackled by the pale girl in a fearful hug.

Her arms flew around Klaus' torso next, who gracefully accepted the gesture and held the trembling girl's shoulders. "What the hell was that?" She asked, looking up at Luther. Telling by his grim expression that differed from her brothers' confused ones, he knew the cause of the unknown rumbling.

His blue eyes refused to meet hers and he sighed deeply, beginning to prepare himself. Rin's gaze narrowed threateningly. "I have something to show you guys." His voice was scarily low as he looked among his wary siblings. Their caution didn't seem to let up.

Luther spun on his heel and started towards the basement. Beneath his feet, bits of wooden debris and dust crunched with each step. Rin shared a worried glance with her brothers before she began following behind him. After a moment, she could hear Diego and Klaus surrender and try to catch up with her.

He took them to an elevator in the depths of the house, one they didn't even know was there. Silently, they rode the thing to what appeared to be a bunker of some sorts. A long, dimly lit stone hallway that led to a singular vault. Its door was closed and locked tightly, but the lights on the inside were on.

Rin approached the scratched up, blemished window that gave them a look inside of the room. She caught Luther's eyes and furrowed her eyebrows. He motioned for her to keep going. So she did. She could feel Klaus and Diego's heads over her shoulder when she peered into the glass.

All of the air was torn from her lungs.

Vanya laid on the ground in the middle of the room, her body curled into itself in a pathetic little heap of a puddle. Rin's hand flew to her mouth and she drew in a gasp. "Luther, why is she in there?" The girl whirled around and demanded, glaring at her brother.

The larger man stared back like a statue. "Let her out." She raised her fist, hoping it would make him do something. But it was like a tiny puppy trying to scare a wolf. "Luther." Rin hissed when he wouldn't budge.

"I can't." Luther finally spoke, his tone sharp. Diego spun around and mirrored his sister's expression. Klaus remained still, his eyes trained on his other sleeping sister and his fingers pressed to his open mouth. "Vanya has powers."

Diego was the one to react this time. He scoffed with skepticism written on his forehead, fixing his gaze back onto the window. Rin turned when his face morphed with heartache. Vanya had woken up and was frantically slamming her palms onto the thick glass that separated them. Her mouth was moving but they couldn't make a word out. "You locked our sister up because you think she has powers?" Diego's eyes couldn't tear themselves away from Vanya.