𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 || 𝐁𝐀𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒

WHAT'S THE PLAN, BATMAN? DOES THAT MAKE ME ROBIN NOW?

☂︎

Rin was slumped against the wall of the building when Diego found her. Her knees were pressed tightly to her chest, trembling arms hugging them close as her chest heaved. She choked on sobs, tears streaming down her face and she struggled to breathe. Diego wasn't sure if she'd noticed him at first.

"I still see their bodies every time I close my eyes." Rin said when she was stable enough to speak. Diego walked up to her, pitying his sister's state. "Eighteen years and almost my whole life, dead on the floor of our house. Fair game my goddamn ass."

He squatted down next to her, laying a hand on her knee.

"I'm sorry, Diego. If this had anything to do with me." His hand faltered, hesitating. But he didn't pull away. "Who was she? Your friend. Patch?"

"Her name was Eudora. Eudora Patch. She was... a great detective." It was all he said, Rin assumed he wasn't ready to talk about it yet. Neither was she. "I forgive you. If you help me track these sons of bitches down and kill them." He stretched his hand out towards her.

A smile pulled at her lips and she took it. He helped her to her feet and tilted his head towards his car. She bounded around to the passenger's side, sliding in and turning to her brother. "What's the plan, Batman? Oh, does that make me Robin now?"

Diego extended his arm out to reveal a crumpled restaurant receipt. Griddy's Doughnuts. In a delicate cursive along the empty format was an order for a jelly donut and a cup of coffee. It belonged to one of the attackers.

"Alright, then. Let's go."

☂︎

"Go to your room and grab anything you need. Meet me back here in ten, alright?"

Diego headed towards his room, pausing when Rin painfully hissed. "The only weapon I had was Muffin but she's dead."

Her brother gave her an unamused face. "That's right. You can think of anything and it's in your hand. I think you're good, anyways." Rin shook her head as Diego left for his bedroom.

Rin glanced at the chandelier, still in a heap in the center of the foyer. Her face went grim remembering the man that had nearly taken her and her sister's lives just a day ago. Before she knew it, she was seated at the bar, reaching for the nearest bottle and glass.

She was three refills in when she heard someone coming down the stairs. "You ready?" She called to who she thought was Diego, tossing back the rest of her whiskey and jumping down from the bar stool. In the foyer, she found a lost looking Klaus.

"Oh, my God. Klaus?" Her brother spun around, trying to find where her voice was coming from and Rin assumed he must've been drunk. Or sleep deprived. His face was blotched with dirt or soot, the bags underneath his eyes dark and heavy. He had a new tattoo on his upper left arm and dog tags around his neck. "Where have you been? You look..." The girl couldn't quite find any polite words when she pulled him into a tight hug.

"Like shit." Diego's voice echoed around the room as he emerged from the back stairway, startling both of them. He carried a gray metal suitcase, the Umbrella Academy's symbol stamped on the front of it.