Chapter 7: The deal

"I have to say, you surprised me Simon

"I have to say, you surprised me Simon. This is truly a club worthy of your position."

"Killian." He greeted me with a warm smile. "I'm glad you made it. He walked up to me and put his arm around my shoulders. He already smells slightly of alcohol, but not so much that it was unbearable. "Gentleman." He pulled me towards the group of older men he had been talking to so far. "Killian Acker." He pointed at me. "I'm sure you know him."

"Mr. Acker. I am honored." One of them offered me his hand, which I accepted out of politeness. He must have been in his forties. I couldn't place his accent anywhere. But he was definitely not from the area. "Abraham Wagner."

"Wagner is of German origin, if I am not mistaken." I'm never wrong.

"Correct." He smiled. But I don't like his look. "If you'll excuse me, I was on my way out. I have something else to do. I hope we'll meet again." Before he left, he said goodbye to everyone in this small circle. He disappeared from my sight as he went up the stairs.

"Well, if you'll excuse us as well, we still have some work to do." Simon spoke and we went from the group to the back where the seats were. "Please." He gestured for me to sit down.

I walked past him and unbuttoned my suit to sit down. Simon immediately followed me.

"So how are you liking it here so far? Happy with your investment?" He raised an eyebrow, leaning back comfortably on the seat and spreading his arms along the length of the back.

"I have to say, I expected something different when you said this was for our people. The crowd outside the club is too big and I didn't notice any of them going in at all." Before I got here, a few people had unpleasant comments.

"Only a few people get in here from the public. And only on the floor above us. This is for us only." He gestured with his hands around him. "Also, there are quieter places, purely for business."

"And if someone loses their temper and starts shooting? We'd have the whole NYPD on our ass."

"That's taken care of, too. Weapons are handed over at the entrance, and you can take it back when you leave."

"I have mine."

"Because I know you and I know I can trust you."

"And the civilians? Are they also controlled?"

"Every man is thoroughly checked before he can enter." He said boldly.

"What about the women?" I frowned.

"Women? Killian, really? We both know they're not built for that."

"I disagree. You never know what you're going to run into these days." I snorted at the memory of the woman with Luna.

They're probably out of town already, but I don't like that they only check men. He should be more careful.

"If you feel better, I'll arrange it right away. It's no problem." He shrugged. "Anything else while we're at it or can I take it that you quite like it here?" He stood up and buttoned his jacket.