Chapter 2. The Melted Caramel

"The great art of life is sensation, to feel that we exist, even in pain."

- Lord Byron

Chay's eyes fluttered open, his senses getting used to his surroundings

Chay's eyes fluttered open, his senses getting used to his surroundings. He stretched his limbs like a cat, channelling his fresh morning energy. He blinked a few times, adjusting to the flashes of the sun getting inside through the crater above the cage.

The cage! Chay's eyes switched their attention to the cage, looking for the werewolf inside. And boy, did he find him creating a hole in Chay's skull with his ebony black eyes. The intensity of the gaze made Chay gulp down but instead of pulling away something was pulling him in. He subconsciously stood up and walked over to the cage only halting himself when one of his hands reached for one of the padlocks.

Chay shook his head, ruffling his messy hair away from his eyes before he looked at the werewolf baffled, "what—" no, he couldn't let the werewolf know that he could possibly have power over Chay; this wasn't in the plan.

Chay took a deep breath, gaining his composure, he looked straight into the werewolf's eyes, "staring is rude, no one taught you that?"

The werewolf didn't even blink, his skin was covered with sweat and it surely wasn't looking as healthy as it did last night.

"What's wrong with you?" Chay frowned. "Are you hurt somewhere? You can't be — that's impossible; it's not the full moon yet."

The werewolf's jaw clenched, his abdominal muscles were contracting so much that even Chay could see it from outside of the cage. The ebony black eyes left Chay and settled on the Wolfsbane, bounding the cage.

"Ohhh, that bothers little wolfie," Chay smirked, "I'm sorry but that's there exactly for that — to bother you."

The werewolf growled, his head twitching in discomfort.

Chay was watching the man's chest going up and down frantically, breathing too heavily. A dangerous feeling crept upon Chay—sympathy. He couldn't allow that. Chay couldn't feel sympathy for a creature he was supposed to kill in thirteen days.

But then the man said his first word "please" and Chay was sold.

"What did you say?" Chay asked, wanting to hear that voice again. Even the man's voice was attractive—melted caramel inside dark bitter chocolate. Chay loved dark chocolate.

But the man was quiet again, chained motionless to the cage.

"Hmmm, well...because you begged so nicely I guess I have to help you," Chay nodded. "How about I reduce it by half, that should be enough, don't you think?" He went down on his knees and started picking up the Wolfsbane flowers one by one.

After five minutes and arms full of Wolfsbane, Chay got up from his knees and glanced at the werewolf whose breath was slowly calming down. "I'll go burn this outside. Maybe try to be productive and come up with an escape plan or something," Chay winked and turned away before he could see the werewolf's face softening.