Chapter 10. False Truth

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future."

- Corrie Ten Boom

It was the fastest Kimhan had ever moved

Wrapping his arms around Chay's unconscious body, Kim pulled him closer, getting him out of the water. Everything felt like a flash of lighting. It happened so fast. Everything was just a blur of movements and Kim's desperate calls of Chay's name.

"Chay...Chay...Porchay, please look at me. Look at me, baby, please..." Kim's palms were holding Chay's head carefully, his thumb gently caressing Chay's cheek.

Chay's eyes were hectically moving under their closed eyelids as if he had a nightmare. His lips were slightly trembling but no matter what Kim tried, he couldn't get Chay to wake up.

Opting for the best werewolf's way to feel a human's pulse, Kim leaned down pressing his nose on the side of Chay's neck, feeling the vein pumping up the blood, Chay's heart beating irregularly, his skin was hot but his body was shivering. It took everything in Kim to pull himself away from Chay.

His eyes travelled down Chay's body, mind finally catching up on what they were doing just a couple of minutes ago. Chay's body was clothed only in grey boxers, the rest of his skin exposed to the harsh coldness of the stone ground inside of the cave.

Cold, he is cold. Kim's mind automatically switched from worried to protective. He looked around — there were two piles of clothes right next to the edge of the pond. Kim dressed, grabbing the other pile of clothes he scooted back to Chay.

"It's okay, baby, just a moment and you'll be warm again."

Minutes later Kim lay on the mattress, having Chay pressed on his body, his palm was making soothing circles on Chay's back. Chay's heartbeat was almost back to normal. He seemed calmer. Despite all of that his body was still shivering, his lips trembling.

Kim's words triggered something in Chay but this was not what he wanted. This was the last thing he wanted to happen. He knew that unblocking memories could trigger a bad reaction. But such a reaction and so soon...it threw Kim into a worrying spiral. He had waited for Chay a hundred years and now when they finally met again the first thing Kim had done already hurt him.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Kim whispered next to Chay's ear, "you'll be alright, my love. I promise...I promise."

"Cold," a faint whisper slipped out of Chay's lips, so quiet that Kim almost blamed it only on his wishful thinking. But then the word entered Kim's ears again and this time he watched Chay's lips moving. It was Chay's subconscious talking for him. His body turned on its survival mode, trying to protect itself.

Kim had worried since the beginning that maybe his human body won't be able to produce enough heat for Chay to warm itself. Kim didn't mind turning into his wolf form. He'd be significantly warmer like that. What was stopping him was the thought of Chay's reaction once he would woke up. Kim didn't want Chay to get out of one shock just to fall into another. He was worried if Chay's body would be able to handle that.