Chapter 3. The Perfect Prey

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."

- E.M. Forster

Chay lay on the mattress, back facing Kim

Chay lay on the mattress, back facing Kim. It was long past noon and they barely talked today. Chay had his eyes closed, his fingers tapping on the asymmetrical cave wall. Yesterday's afternoon was playing on his mind like a broken record over and over again, not letting him rest.

"I don't know."

"Well," Chay shrugged, "then we'll figure it out together.

"Together," he heard Kim softly repeat the word. But when Chay made another step forward Kim growled again, "Stay away from me!"

"Kim, what's wrong with you?" Chay spat out. "I just want to help you. After the bath, you'll feel better."

"Help me?" Kim laughed. "Kill me. Kill me now! That's what you're gonna do in thirteen days anyway so why not do it now?"

The blunt, cold way in which Kim said those words send a poison dagger right through Chay's chest. Kim didn't deserve that. He didn't deserve to want to die. To feel like there's no other option how to get out of the mess you are in.

Chay didn't want to kill Kim.

But he had to.

He prayed he didn't have to do it.

But he had no other option.

Only by killing Kim would Chay finally gain the love and respect of his family. The loving home he always dreamed about. They would finally see him as a man worthy of the family hunting legacy. They would finally care. All it takes is to kill one werewolf — this werewolf.

The more infamous the werewolf one kills is, the more respect they gain. If Chay wanted to receive the love and respect from his family for as long as possible, the werewolf had to be important. He couldn't just kill some random low-ranking werewolf he would stumble upon on the street. It had to be planned. It had to be methodical. It had to be researched.

Kimhan Theerapanyakul had to be researched.

Going berserk on the arch-enemy werewolf family and being able to wipe them from the face of Earth all in one go catapulted Kim into a legend-like status among other werewolf clans. But not only among them; hunter families all around the world also started including stories about Kimhan Theerapanyakul in their teachings about the werewolves. Hunters' children grew up listening to bedtime stories about the cold-blooded youngest son of the Theerapanyakul family.

And Chay did too.

But while most of the children got terrified and some even couldn't sleep because they kept having nightmares, Chay couldn't sleep for a different reason. He wasn't scared. He was intrigued. There were two questions that were bothering him for years: How? and Why?