Chapter 14. The Nightmare & The Fairytale

"I'm not saying that love always takes you to heaven. Your life can become a nightmare. But that said, it is worth taking the risk."

- Paulo Coelho

Kim didn't change to his wolf form on his way to the club

Kim didn't change to his wolf form on his way to the club. Even though he maybe should have. It would be way more practical; he would be at the club way faster. But that was exactly it, Kim didn't want to be at the club so soon. Once he would arrive at his club he was going to lock himself in his office and just stare at the clock, forcing each second to go by faster.

The longer it would take him to arrive at the club the shorter time he would have to stare at the clock as if he wanted to kill them. It made total sense, right? Well, it made sense to Kim, so instead of running, he was slowly strolling through the forest, his mind occupied with Chay's scent, the way it felt to hold Chay in his arms again, the way every single of Chay's touches burned Kim inside and brought him back to life in the most fatally gentle way.

It was as if someone bewitched Kim and now he was living in a dream where everything he ever wished for was there with him. Chay was the only thing Kim had ever desperately wished for. And now Chay was there, back with Kim after the century, Kim's only wish came true.

So what if it all was just a bewitching dream, lulling Kim into its deadly hands, killing him softly? Only to release him back to reality just a moment before he would let out his last breath — just to then watch the cruel truth be that deadly thing that would make him give up his last breath instead?

Kim didn't want to think like that, but it was as if he sometimes didn't have control over his thoughts. Sometimes they were screaming at him from every direction or at times they were whispering so softly that he almost couldn't hear them. Sometimes they were the darkest thoughts imaginable and sometimes they were reassuring him that everything was going to be alright, that his angel would return to him just like Elizabeth-Anne had said.

Kim was aware that what he was dealing with was most likely the trauma from losing his mate. Macau was the first one who brought it up a couple of weeks after Chay had died. Kim didn't even try to argue with Macau. Kim himself would be more than surprised if he didn't have trauma so why pretend?

As sad as it was, Chay's death was the thing that brought Kim and Macau closer together. Kim was shocked at first, at how much his cousin wanted to help him to get better, but later on, Kim understood — by helping Kim, Macau was also helping himself to bear the pain.

Nowadays Kim was seeing Macau more like his brother rather than as a cousin — it was a nice feeling, especially when his real brothers were so far away. Kim had expected his brothers to contact him maybe one day — they never did.

And he had never contacted them either.

Kim smiled, he was looking forward to Chay's reaction when he would find out how close his mate and best friend had become. Yes, Kim finally acknowledged the fact that Macau indeed was Chay's best friend too...right after Kim himself of course.