Chapter 17. Your Grave, My Home

"Home is any four walls that enclose the right person."

- Helen Rowland

Chay's grave.

The place where Kim had spent more time than anywhere else in his entire life. The place where he cried his soul out over and over again. The place where he died way too many times to even come to think of counting them. The place where he felt the pain incomparable to anything else known to the world. The place where he was the saddest yet the happiest he could be.

There were times when Kim was disgusted by himself, for allowing himself to feel a faint hint of happiness in his heart when he was at the place where the body of his mate was buried. But it was the only place in the world where he could be close to Chay. Just being close to what was left of his mate was enough to ignite a small flame of happiness, lasting a couple of hours. Lasting until he had to leave again. Forcing himself to stand up from the dirty ground that became his new home and turn his back on the only person in the world he never wanted to turn his back to.

Chay's grave. Chay's grave. Chay's grave.

Kim's home. Kim's home. Kim's home.

"Kim?" Chay's voice and his palm on Kim's cheek reminded him that the grave was no longer his home. Kim's home was alive and well, sitting in the safety of his arms.

"The grave...it's under the Weeping Willow where it all happened." Kim was afraid that his voice would be shaking, saying those words but it was okay, Kim was okay.

Chay bit his lips, for a moment hesitating to say his next words, "do you...do you think that I could go there to see it?"

At first, Kim wanted to say no. No, Chay definitely couldn't go to see his own grave but then he thought about it — it was Chay's choice to make. If he wanted to go, Kim would take him there.

"You want to go?"

"You don't have to go with me if you—"

Kim pecked Chay's lips, stopping him in mid-sentence, "I was at your grave every single day until I met you in the woods, Chay. I'll go there with you. It's okay."

"Thank you," Chay whispered.

Kim nodded, "and now your side of the story, baby."

Chay took Kim's hands in his own and interlocked their fingers, "there's not much, honestly. I grew up in a family of hunters, not remembering anything from my life with you. You already know how my parents treated me—" Chay stopped, his body stiffened, Kim could feel Chay's heart rate going up, through their joined fingers.

"Angel?"

"There is one thing you need to know, but you have to remember your promise — you are never going to search for my parents. You promised."

"Porchay," Kim's voice was deep, sharp at the edges. Chay was sure that if he wasn't Kim's mate, the voice would scare him.

Chay sighed, "there are scars on my body, Kim. They are from the constant beating I was receiving from my father for years."