Chapter 15. Wolfsbane

"Yes, it was love at the first sight.  I feel that after all these years, I have finally found my soulmate."

- Barbara Hershey

Chay stopped running only after he was streets away from the ice-cold hands of his nightmare

Chay stopped running only after he was streets away from the ice-cold hands of his nightmare. He walked into a park across the street and sat on the bench. The wristwatch he still had on told him that it was shortly after 9 pm — if Chay were to take a bus he would have plenty of time to arrive at the Wolfsbane successfully avoiding Kim getting worried.

Chay smiled, okay, knowing Kim he was worried since they parted at the cave, but at least Chay's fast arrival would avoid Kim getting extremely worried and getting a stupid idea to actually go try to find Chay. Chay was ninety-nine percent sure that if he were to arrive one second after midnight he wouldn't find Kim in the club because his mate would already be out there searching for him everywhere.

For a moment Chay was tempted to try if he was correct but he couldn't lie to himself — he wanted to be with Kim as soon as possible. Chay was tired, his body was aching from all that running and he didn't even want to think about how emotionally exhausted he was. Forcing Kim to go home without him and then the confrontation with his parents made Chay want to curl up in Kim's lap and not let go of Kim until he would be fully recharged.

Good thing that Chay could do exactly that, he just needed to get to Kim first. He used his hand to support himself to stand up from the bench. A sudden quick strike of pain sent the signal right to his head, making Chay let out a startled "ou." He completely forgot, his palm — it wasn't bleeding that much but it stung when he tried to close it.

Chay frowned, Kim was not going to freak out because Chay would be late but because of the little wound. Chay had remembered clearly that time when he decided to mix Wolfsbane with his blood and Kim was losing his mind as if Chay needed a bucket of blood or something. But Chay wasn't mad, he was never mad. Out of everyone he had understood the most. He would be the same if not worse if the roles were reversed.

Seeing your mate hurt is one of the worst feelings ever and it's even worse when you can also feel it because that means that the pain is strong enough to transfer from the body of your mate to yours through your mating bond. Just like the pain, Chay felt in his chest hours ago.

His chest was now clenched with a different feeling; the guilt of hurting his own mate was eating Chay alive. He knew that Kim had forgiven him the moment it happened and that Kim was the one who pushed the dagger deeper but that didn't erase the fact that Chay was the one who wanted to do it, who wanted to do even more, even worse.

What was torturing Chay the most was that Kim was ready to let Chay do it, to let Chay kill him. Without fighting, without forcing the truth on Chay. Kim was ready to completely submit to Chay and bear all the pain because he felt that it was what he had deserved for not protecting Chay.