Chapter 7. Red Wine

"Hope is a waking dream."

- Aristotle

Kim didn't know how long it took him to get up and leave the Mallory residence, but when he eventually stood back on the creaking porch of the Kittisawasd house the sun was almost rising and the orange hue of the candlelight wasn't flickering in t...

Kim didn't know how long it took him to get up and leave the Mallory residence, but when he eventually stood back on the creaking porch of the Kittisawasd house the sun was almost rising and the orange hue of the candlelight wasn't flickering in the window anymore.

Upon his entering he sensed the movement before he could see it. Elizabeth-Anne was walking towards him, her arms wide open and a gentle smile highlighting wrinkles around her red-coloured lips.

"Come here, sweetheart. It's fine, everything will be fine," her voice, soothing his soul as she took Kim's bloodied body in her arms, while her words were cutting deeper in his heart than any knife ever could.

"Stop. Please...just stop. It can't be fine," Kim said into a hug, his voice stripped of any emotions even though he felt them all; they were burning him alive.

But Elizabeth-Anne continued as if she didn't hear a word Kim said, her hand doing small soothing circles on Kim's back. She will get blood all over her, Kim thought but he didn't pull away. "I'm proud of you, Kimhan. You did the best you could. Everything will be alright now, just give it time."

"Yeah? Was this really the best thing I could do?" Kim shook his head, forcing himself out of Elizabeth-Anne's loving embrace.

"Kimhan, listen to me," Elizabeth-Anne started, her voice urgent. "There's one more thing about my premonition that I haven't told you yet."

Kim didn't even flinch, there was nothing that Elizabeth-Anne could say that would make Kim's life even worse. "Whatever it is, Anne...I don't think I care."

"You should; it's about Porchay."

Kim's body tensed, his head previously ducked down snapped upwards, eyes dark like an ocean at night, filled with fear. "No. Whatever it is — I don't want to hear it."

"Kim, sit down, please," Elizabeth-Anne, sat on the sofa, patting the empty space next to her. "Please," she repeated when Kim didn't show any desire to move from the place he was standing at.

Kim slowly walked closer, stopping in front of the sofa, "It will be covered in blood if I sit down."

"I don't care. Sit!"

Kim sat, his hands subconsciously clenched into fists, "look, whatever it is I—"

"Chay will be back," Elizabeth-Anne said with so much belief that Kim almost fell for her words too.

But he didn't.

"Nonsense!" He growled, standing up, wanting to leave when Elizabeth-Anne grabbed his hand, her eyes begging Kim to listen.

"Listen to me," her grip on Kim's hand got stronger, "hundred years from now there will be a boy. That boy is going to be Porchay. Same face, same eyes, same smile, same hair, same voice...same name. Hundred years from now, you will meet your mate again, Kimhan. I don't know if he will remember anything, but it will be him — flesh and blood, he'll be alive again."