Nightly Adventure

Time passed in a blink of an eye as nightfall blanketed the entire Boiling Isles in its sweet embrace, bringing forth the conclusion of the day for many sleepy residents. However, for the rest of the population, this only signaled the official beginning of their business.

        And among that restless population was a certain group that could only be found at the Owl House itself.

        Luz and Danica sat beside each other on the living room's sofa as they watched Eda slip her cloak on and tuck her thick mane of hair back so it could fit within her hood. Once she had gathered her belongings for the night, the Owl Lady craned her head over to address the two teenagers on the couch.

        "Luz, you and Dani help each other watch over the house while I'm out." She advised as she adjusted her cloak a bit. "Make sure Hooty doesn't get into trouble."

        As if on cue, the front door instantly swung itself open to reveal Hooty's indignant expression on the wooden surface, his beak contorted in a protesting pout. "Hoot, hoot! I don't need a babysitter!" He huffed, the group briefly glancing at him upon hearing his voice. "I'm a big boy house!"

        Luz promptly hopped off the couch and faced Eda with a wide grin as she chirped while jabbing a thumb to herself, "You can count on us not to do that! We'd never betray your hard-earned trust!" Her grin became strained before she anxiously glanced over at Danica. "Right, Dani? Hahaha..."

        The young witch instantly flinched before she too shot up from the couch to stand besides Luz, her posture rigid as she forced a tedious smile onto her lips. "Er...yes! That's right!" She chuckled stiffly, eliciting an arched eyebrow from Eda when she turned her attention towards her. "What kind of people would we be if we broke our word and made a mess in your absence? We're not barbarians!" 

        She then broke out into awkward laughter that sounded anything but natural, her eyes practically screaming with embarrassment as it went on for a bit too long. "Hahahahahaha...!" Luz had to elbow her a bit to get her to stop after it continued for over ten seconds. Danica instantly winced once the laughter was over before sheepishly whispering to the human out of the corner of her lips. "I've been laughing too long, haven't I?"

        "Yup, kind of." Luz awkwardly whispered back with a wince. Eda was now staring skeptically at both of the girls, her suspicion only growing upon hearing Danica's uncomfortable laughter. 

        "...you two are acting suspicious." The Owl Lady uttered, eliciting a flinch from the girls as she turned to face them with furrowed brows. "Luz, you're doing that thing where you hide in your hoodie."

        Indeed, Luz had yanked the hood of her hoodie over her hood, doing her best to peer up at her mentor without meeting her eyes. "Meow I'm not!" She stammered hastily, slipping a pun into her words due to the attire's cat-like decorations. Danica groaned under her breath as she massaged the bridge of her nose. As if her awkward laughter wasn't obvious enough...

        She then darted her eyes around and blinked in confusion at the absence of a certain little demon. "Wait, where's King?" Danica questioned, quickly taking advantage of the missing creature to divert Eda's attention before her suspicion grew any bigger. Fortunately, it seemed to work as the Owl Lady smiled in response and glanced down at herself.

        "He's right here!" She parted her cloak to reveal King dangling from the woman's front as his little body was strapped into a pink baby harness she wore on her figure. Soft snores could be heard from him, his head drooped forward with his eyes closed. "His little body just conks out when he's weightless. Look at this ~ "

        To demonstrate, the older witch swayed her hips side-to-side, causing King's little limbs to to do same as if he was a doll. Luz softly squealed under her breath at the sight of the adorable display, careful not to awake the sleeping demon. "Aww, he's so dangly ~ !" She cooed, crouching down to gently play with his feet before releasing them.