Nebulous Motives

(A/N: smartkitten12u4 does it again with her phenomenal editing skills and support for this story! Everyone give her some love to those who aren't following her!😭💗💞💕)

        It was around eight in the morning when Danica finally snuck out of the castle and made her way through the now-stirring town of Bonesborough.

        The streets were already starting to bustle with activity as the townspeople greeted the morning with their own business, such as setting up stalls in the marketplace or simply gathering together on the sidewalks to catch up on the latest form of gossip. The air was gradually filling with its typical, lighthearted atmosphere as more and more people were waken up by the arrival of the sun shining brilliantly upon the Boiling Isles.

        Danica unconsciously fiddled with the edge of her hood as she passed through the streets, brushing past random civilians who were far too immersed in their own businesses to take notice of her. Normally her shoulders felt far less tense while making her way through Bonesborough because she always felt confident about blending in with the crowd with her disguise and everything.

        But for some reason, there was a small sensation itching at the back of her mind that prevented her from being completely at ease in the familiar environment.

        ...was it because of the potion she tucked away in the satchel she now wore on her person, its very presence serving as a reminder of what awaited her afterwards...?

        Or was it because of...?

        Danica quickly shook off any rising hesitation before it could worsen. Now wasn't the time to worry about any of that. For now, she just needed to focus on meeting up with the residents of the Owl House so she could take that quick break she promised to herself.

        Then right after that, she can move onto her self-imposed business...

        "...which way was the slayground again...?" Danica muttered aloud in thought under her breath, lifting her head to glance around her surroundings. She could have sworn she passed by the place on multiple occasions... Did she not pay enough attention to remember the way...? Before she could question her own memory any further, she found herself turning around a corner of a nearby building when she spotted an area out of the corner of her eyes. "Ah, there it is."

        The slayground was a small, circular park located behind a metallic fence with gates in the front, complete with brick walls bordering the grass. A wide sandbox was placed near its entrance, where Danica could spot a few toddlers happily playing with the sand using the buckets and shovels either they brought with them or the park provided them for any children visiting. There was also a small slayground set decorated with monstrous details such as horns and slit eyes, a couple children eagerly taking turns going down the slide. At the very back of the park area was a single green bench, most likely there for parents to sit and watch as their little ones played nearby.

        Danica blinked and squinted her eyes ever-so slightly as she momentarily scanned the area, confusion evident on her features. She glanced around to and fro, placing a hand on the fence the moment she approached the park's entrance, but she couldn't spot any familiar faces nearby whatsoever.

        ...where were they?

        Where were the Owl House residents?

        Didn't Luz Penstagram her that they were going to be here today...? There's no way she could have misinterpreted such a short and simple message, right...?